Your opinion on Isuzu NPR/NQR series ?

/ Your opinion on Isuzu NPR/NQR series ? #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
I had a customer call today, for a 9 ton multifunctional trailer. He is deciding between Iveco, Renault (both European brands, i guess you dont know them) or Isuzu or Mitsubishi, because he likes a front steer cab because it is shorter and more manoeuverable in tight suburbs.

Because our company has a good relationship with the Dutch Isuzu importer, they send customers that need a 5th wheel with air brakes conversion to us, and we try to help them in return.

So, i advised the customer an NQR 75 with the 5 liter 4 cylinder diesel, with a total GVW of 11 metric ton.

How is the experience with these, either manual or automatic transmission ?? are they truely as beefy as they seem (compared to aforementioned European Vans/trucks ?? )and will they stand up to every day 11 ton towing ?

/ Your opinion on Isuzu NPR/NQR series ? #2  
I don't have the documented information you'd like as to how well they'd stand up to every day 11 ton towing, but I can tell you they've been some pretty nice trucks. I borrowed one once to help a daughter move, then later both of my brothers had the GMC versions (just GMC name on an Isuzu truck) as Matco Tool trucks. So the three I've driven were all automatic transmissions, but none of them were ever in the shop for repairs as far as I know.

/ Your opinion on Isuzu NPR/NQR series ? #3  
they are very good units, go with the nqr as you chose. the 5.2 is a solid motor and the injectors are far better than anything else in a durimax. i would advise you to have the front end aligned with the load if that can be done. they are set up for x amount of weight on the rear end and you may be below that due to towing not hauling. parts prices can be kinda high compared to other gm parts but not that bad. as long as they follow the maintenance shedule they should be happy for a long time. i am a certified isuzu medium duty tech so if you have any questions feel free to contact me.
go with the automatic trans we hardly ever have a failure of them.
i have seen them in many different configurations and they hold up really well. there is a plant nursey here that has a old ( 1991-1994) nqr and its still working everyday of the week. we have had some issues with the manuals mostly incorrect adjustments of switches and cabels binding. they are a very solid unit IMO.

good luck

/ Your opinion on Isuzu NPR/NQR series ? #4  
The Isuzu and Mitsubishi are both imported here to the US. Chevrolet and GMC both sell the Isuzu re-badged as Bird said. The Mitsubishi is sold (or at least was sold) under the badge of International / Navistar. The Isuzu is a very reliable truck... i have seen many with hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles on them.
There was a time when Iveco was imported here..... and i have heard nothing but bad about them. Apparently, frame bending was common.
I'm not farmiliar with Reneault ever importing heavy trucks to the US. I do remember the cars though ! Not a big seller here !

/ Your opinion on Isuzu NPR/NQR series ? #5  
Of all the tilt cabs the Isuzu is the best in my opinion. I worked on them for a couple of years at a Chevrolet medium duty truck dealership and rarely had to do much more than regular maintenance and brake jobs. Both auto and manual transmissions seemed to hold up very well.

/ Your opinion on Isuzu NPR/NQR series ?
I was kinda expecting this general consensus, to me the Isuzu looks like a very sturdy and reliable unit, though the cab is a bit basic compared to a Mercedes Sprinter (Dodge Sprinter in the USA) though the Sprinter can only get a max GVW of 8750 kg, and the automatic transmission can only get 7 ton...

Iveco bending frames, yes some folks swear by them because the Iveco frame "looks like" a real truck frame where the Sprinter frame is built from pressed steel. In our experience, the Iveco frames flex too much, giving poor road behaviour, and cracks in the long run.
The Renault 3,5-6,5 ton Van based trucks arent bad, Renault VI (Vehicules Industrielles) is a Volvo subsidiary. Problem is that the Renault (alike most other brands in this vehicle class) has only a 2.5 liter high reving 160 hp engine.

In Holland, in order to drive a truck on the small (non commercial, or passenger car) license, it must be lighter than 3500 kg. The law says nothing about the GVW, though any combination above 7,5 ton requires a commercial trucking diploma, with lots of technical background theory.

So, as long as the tow vehicle is approved for less than 3500 kg and the driver has this certificate, you can tow as much as the manufacturer of the vehicle allows. In real life, most of these vehicles have more 5th wheel pressure so they go above 3500 kg on the axles of the tow vehicle, but now you can only get a ticket for overloading your tow vehicle, not for not having the proper drivers license.... ;)

You can get an individual permit for higher GVW if the truck is technically capable to take off on a 12% incline, 5 times within 5 minutes on the national test track.
For the Isuzu converter transmission, this shouldnt be a problem because there are no clutch plates to toast.

How much weight would the NQR be able to tow in the long run ? What could we advise to customers, and how much weight should we get to the individual approval ? Will it do fine with 15 ton as well ?

What's the GVW in the USA ??

/ Your opinion on Isuzu NPR/NQR series ? #7  
I believe the current GVWR (gross vehicle weight ratings) run from 12,000 to 19,500 pounds, but I don't know about the GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight ratings) so I'm not sure about maximum towing capabilities.

/ Your opinion on Isuzu NPR/NQR series ?
Bird, 19500 Lbs would be 9700 kg right ? The standard trailer weight is mostly 3500 kg (7000 Lbs) would make somewhere near 13 ton... If we could get to 13 ton, i think many customers would be happy, and we'd stretched the loophole in the law far enough... A major competitor of us has these Iveco s individually approved to 16 ton, but in my humble opinion, hitting the road with a Iveco at 16 ton is delayed suicide... ;)

/ Your opinion on Isuzu NPR/NQR series ? #9  
Iveco is the heavy truck division of Fiat... 'nuff said! :D :eek: