Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,471  
I read somewhere long time ago that propane bottles are pressure tested with water before being shipped out from the factory and some of that water sometimes may remain on the bottom of a new bottle, causing freezing problems later to the end user!

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,472  
Water in propane is caused by not purging the tank when filling. This is either from the manufacture and testing or from leaving the valve open on an empty tank however this is only an issue on older tanks with a POL fitting.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,473  
Well we got 16" of snow and didn't lose power but the wind is picking up and looks like we are in for 24 hours of freezing starting in the afternoon rain so odds are we will lose power tonight. Gen is ready apart from putting gas in the tank - I try not to leave any if possible.

Edit: In past years this had led to multi day power outages so gens are fueled up and ready to go. Little loadbanking on the 1000.
IMG_4669.jpeg

IMG_4668.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,474  
It is interesting what you said about EU2000i having timing belt and no separate cylinder/cylinder head and it prompted me to check the spare parts drawings of Firman 2000 I bought three years ago, and dual fuel Firman 3200/2900 bought abut year and half ago (both were on sale at Costco).

It prompted me to check spare part drawings of these and interestingly both of these have a separate cylinder/cylinder heads and both are are push-rod engines!

Not saying one design is better or worse, but these are probably little more old fashion in that regard and these may have couple of more moving parts to wear VS. timing belt wear.

Obviously these were whole lot cheaper than Honda's, but they seem like very well made small inverter generators and have performed flawlessly so far, but only time will show their longevity?

View attachment 847236

Item 54, push rod:
View attachment 847237
Too many people can turn these discussions into a Ford vs. Chevy type story, but to me, it's all just data (y)

Any system, is going to have strengths/weaknesses/limitations.... part of why I gravitate to tear-downs on Things I Haven't Seen Before. I was a bit surprised A) to see a timing-belt, and B) the condition it was in.

Can't say I've heard of Honda belt related problems, but my ears are now open.....

Rgds, D.

#6,475  
I fast forward a lot with his videos, they are long but remarkably well done
I've been watching his @ 1.25 speed, on lunch @ work. Some Zen happening, in those well-shot vids, and I could use some more of that @ work.....

I've learned a few gen details in the few of his I've watched. Maybe it's just a coincidence in those few, but the one thing I'd like to see him add is either a spark-plug change on the high-hour stuff, or at least mention it in his wrapup. TBN crew on here shouldn't need to be told, but today's global audience would need that clearly stated....

Good vids, worth watching.

Rgds, D.

#6,476  
Well we got 16" of snow and didn't lose power but the wind is picking up and looks like we are in for 24 hours of freezing starting in the afternoon rain so odds are we will lose power tonight. Gen is ready apart from putting gas in the tank - I try not to leave any if possible.

Edit: In past years this had led to multi day power outages so gens are fueled up and ready to go. Little loadbanking on the 1000.View attachment 847435

View attachment 847436
You've Done Your Prepping..... So Murph should Move Along to easier targets !

That seems like a lot of snow for out your way, or is that normal ?

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,477  
You've Done Your Prepping..... So Murph should Move Along to easier targets !

That seems like a lot of snow for out your way, or is that normal ?

Rgds, D.
Some winters we don’t get any snow but when the temperature is right we get snow like we get rain. This isn’t that unusual. With the wind we end up with 4’ in places in the yard and 10’ deep or more in spots down on the flats.

The good news is that we (locally) seem to have avoided nearly all the freezing rain. We are in a bit of a rainshadow with the direction the weather moved in this time. The rest of the area saw a lot but it mostly missed us and power stayed on.

Take that, Murphy.

#6,478  
Some winters we don’t get any snow but when the temperature is right we get snow like we get rain. This isn’t that unusual. With the wind we end up with 4’ in places in the yard and 10’ deep or more in spots down on the flats.

The good news is that we (locally) seem to have avoided nearly all the freezing rain. We are in a bit of a rainshadow with the direction the weather moved in this time. The rest of the area saw a lot but it mostly missed us and power stayed on.

Take that, Murphy.
Sounds like a good time to take out sleds, powered or not ! Dry snow can be fun, even for us oldsters.....

True freezing-rain (Canuck or N. USA style) is the least-fun of all the options :rolleyes:.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,479  
I've been watching YT gen repair videos and have a couple questions.
When you take off the end cap of the electric end, there is usually a large capacitor in there.
First, what does it do (help in startup?) and does it fail often enough that we ought to have a spare.
Like i do for my hvac compressor.
GRS, lots of capacitors get changed out in electrical equipment due to age, what about gens?
Did many break?

if someone could explain what flashing means in getting an electrical end to start producing voltage?
I saw one guy use an electric drill, then a heater, something about adding load. ??

I figure if I learn what breaks these gens, might help in prevention. Condon is excellent

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,480  
All preparations, testing and maintenance done on gas and PTO generators. Once in 30 year snow and ice storm last week, not even a flicker. Last time lost power for 8 days.