Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,291  
That seems very helpful, thank you! This one runs on propane, but I'm sure there's little difference besides the fuel delivery. I'll have to print it so I can look at it better.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,292  
Best way to test cables is to put a voltmeter across the cable, one lead on the battery, the other on the other end of the cable at the starter. Engage the starter, and the volt meter will show the voltage drop across the cable, not the voltage drop of the battery with the load applied to it.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,294  
Best way to test cables is to put a voltmeter across the cable, one lead on the battery, the other on the other end of the cable at the starter. Engage the starter, and the volt meter will show the voltage drop across the cable, not the voltage drop of the battery with the load applied to it.
Should be a Law ! :cool:

Good point PG.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,295  
Had a starter pegging the needle on draw and turns out a starter shaft bushing had worked loose and the mis-alignment the reason...
Ford cars & trucks of the 60’s & 70’s had that same problem. The bushing on the gear end would wear out letting the armature rub on the field coils. Would usually start ok cold but when hot it would turn olive very slow.
solution was to replace both bushings slap it together & away you go. Todays starters are of such high quality (Dodge Cummins) that life expectancy can exceed 20~30 years before it needs brushes.
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,296  
Ford cars & trucks of the 60’s & 70’s had that same problem. The bushing on the gear end would wear out letting the armature rub on the field coils. Would usually start ok cold but when hot it would turn olive very slow.
solution was to replace both bushings slap it together & away you go. Todays starters are of such high quality (Dodge Cummins) that life expectancy can exceed 20~30 years before it needs brushes.
90cummins
1968 Mustang with 289…

My 350 chevrolet starter went out at 150k and two replacements have not been right… I should have just replaced the brushes!

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,297  
I have a 2012 Chevy with 213,000 miles on it, it's still on it's original starter and alternator, and folks say they don't make them like they use to. I'm glad they don't!

BTW, I have one of those CCK generators too, but I've never started it and I don't know much about it, other than it's a 5K 120v generator.

SR

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,300  
Thank you for those links. I was able to find the one for my generator, downloaded and printed. I got as far as testing the battery locally and it tested good. So the next things will be wiring and testing.. Hoping this weekend, but I'm up to 70 hour work weeks now. One step at a time... Thank you all for the suggestions so far.