Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,241  
I’m probably the only person I know with the 1000 Honda Inverter.

Our EU1000I Honda is mostly our goto for power outages. 90% of outages here are repaired in under 4 hours. We also have a EU2000I we use just so it doesnt feel left out. Both generators EASILY can run 6 hours on WAY LESS than a gallon. We run 65" big screen LED tv- Directv box-1 led light- Speaker- clock- Alexa- cellular modem. Gens stay on eco mode. the UE1000i easily will do 12hrs or more on a gallon of gas. Even still we are entertaining the addition of a standby generator for the few times the outages are major. Being over 70 it would be nice not to drag out the 9500 dual fuel generator to recharge the well pump and power freezers and whatever. We heat with a wood stove and the house is super insulated.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,242  
Those of you with the Wifi alerts, what does that really get you? My dealer wants me to install one at $xxx and $35/month monitoring fee. I don't see any benefit other than I may be higher on his priority list if it fails. I walk past my generator several times each day and see the light each time I walk by. I would think that would be better than a cell phone that I may not look at for a couple of days.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,243  
the generac mobile link unit has a YEARLY cost of $49 for use, plus the price of the unit and install (the newer generators with evolution 2 controllers have the units built in).

my Genmon unit has no monthly fees. only cost of unit.

i like mine because i travel alot, or are away from home. i get instant alerts as to status of my generator. if im away and power is out for long time, i can alert a friend to go check the unit. now if your home, dont bother.

the basic FREE mobil link service just gets you a monthly email report.
the pay one gets you instant (or so they say) text or email, plus you can set exercise time, etc from the app. thats about it.

my Genmon gives me alot more info, such as propane tank levels, power output, utility and generator power levels, battery levels, frequency and rpm of engine. plus it instantly emails me if the generator has a yellow or red alert light show up. it texts me whenever it exercises.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,244  
MTCE, Power outages, great 411 on remote telemetry.... with all this PM going on this Fall, you'll all have zero grid down-time this Winter.....

OK, so I'm an optimist :cool:.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,245  
Pulled out my backup to my standby and give it a little exercise. It hadn’t been run for over a year, I figured it would be good to stir the oil in the gearbox up and maintain the residual magnetism. I ran it with a light load for about 20 minutes, and then put it away.
IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,246  
^^^ But, generators are too cool to only run once a year! :D

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,247  
I purchased the same generator a PTO 25 from Generac in preparation for Y2K. Has perhaps 10 hours on it. I pull it out occasionally & put a 10kw load on it for 20 minutes or so to drive moisture out of the windings. I have a full power connection in my vintage Onan transfer switch that powers the entire house.
I removed the brushes a couple years ago to check & clean. Everything looked fine.
It sits in the corner of my garage waiting for the big day.
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,248  
I purchased the same generator a PTO 25 from Generac in preparation for Y2K.

This one is a Dayton, but who knows who actually manufactured it. Dayton was a manufacturer though. The Y2K vintage is about right as well.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,249  
Well, we know who will still be able to fire up their welders, after the Big One hits !

Small, big, PTO..... (y) on the pics !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,250  
Our first generator was bought in 1994.
We run it once per year to change oil, or when needed.
Our larger generator was bought in 2018.
Same schedule.
Anything else seems to me to be a waste of time and fuel.