Younger generation?

/ Younger generation? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Just curious if others have noticed this. I mentioned Halloween and how fewer kids show up over the years. This year zero.
I grew up in the country (Baby boomer generation) and had friends mostly about my age but lots of older ones also (much wisdom). It seems like gen Y (millennials) and Z (youngest). Don't do that anymore.
As a kid I thought nothing about walking or riding my bike for miles (no...not uphill both ways to school in snow) but to visit people. We had great neighbors and it was educational, learning anything mechanical, farming, hunting, fishing...etc.
You don't see that today. Is it fear? TV? Computers?
Thanks, curious what others thought.

/ Younger generation? #2  
I think the reason fewer kids show up each year is that they grew up. It's cyclical. Think about it. Go to newer neighborhoods and there's tons of trick or treaters.

Now that just applies to halloween. Other times of the year, they are couch potatoes.

/ Younger generation? #3  
I think the reason fewer kids show up each year is that they grew up. It's cyclical. Think about it. Go to newer neighborhoods and there's tons of trick or treaters.

Now that just applies to halloween. Other times of the year, they are couch potatoes.
Except their parents are at the end of the driveway or they take them to a mall. Just doesn't seem the same anymore.

/ Younger generation?
I've been here about 40 years and there are younger kids around, even next farm over they moved here last year and have kids.

/ Younger generation? #5  
They trick our treat on cell phones now.LOL...I would love to see the cell phone system crash for 1 month and see how folks would react.H-ll they might even start setting down at the supper table and have a great conversation if that happened.

/ Younger generation? #6  
They were discussing it earlier today on the radio about parents taking the fun out of trick or treating for there kids. The going to the door with there kids instead of staying a respectable distance down the sidewalk Was to blame.

Blamed it on the helicopter parenting that's been going on for years now.

Some is computers, especially games. One grandson doesn't want to do anything except play a certain video game. My wife and I hijacked the boys this summer and took them along with the camper to a state park right next to the beach. No electronics allowed except for when we were chilling before bed watching a movie, or while traveling in the truck. No video games what so ever though for the week :D I might have forgotten (left on purpose) the power cable for their gaming machine :rolleyes:

Surprinpsingly enough, he had a good time and wants to go again. But come summer we will probably have to Shanghai him again to get him to go :laughing:

/ Younger generation?
As a kid we went without parents for Halloween. I walked up the road getting together with friends as I went so there may be 10-15 in a bunch. I may not get home until 11.

/ Younger generation? #8  
The merchants in the village center near us all band together to greet the trick or treaters for two or three hours starting at dusk on Halloween. It's a pretty festive atmosphere with all the activity. Also much safer for the kids than walking door to door in costumes, especially in neighborhoods with no sidewalks. There is data that, on Halloween, kids are twice as likely to die from being hit by a car. :eek: Halloween: Child Car Accident Deaths Could Double | Fortune

/ Younger generation? #9  
Several churches do a Trunk Or Treat around here. You take your kids to the church parking lot and go trunk-to-trunk instead of door-to-door. Kids like it and the parents know each other.

/ Younger generation? #10  
My hometown, population 1200, had an annual downtown party put on by the volunteer fire department. Apple cider, and hotdogs boiled in a cast iron laundry kettle over an open fire. Free, back in the 50's and early 60's. Kids would run wild, lip sticking each other and throwing water balloons. Do towns do that anymore?

The beginning of the end for T or T might have been the razor blades and having to take your loot to the hospital for X Ray- well after my childhood.