Young snake ID please

/ Young snake ID please
I’d vote some kind of rat snake too. Has that long slender look and it’s climbing. I’ve seen rat snakes go right up a wall.
The climbing part is what originally lead me to believe it was harmless (not certain for a fact). Can't say I've ever seen a copperhead climb a wall. This wasn't a wall, but smooth glass.

/ Young snake ID please
I know this is going to sound dumb because nobody but a nature guy wants to get close enough, in PA and I think most of the continental USA if it has eyes like a cat it’s poisonous. Eyes like a dog not. Around the house poisonous get dead, out in the wild they get all the room they need.😁
ANYTIME I looking at a snake outside, I'm always looking at the head and eyes and always scratching my head thinking "hmmm...." LOL Reality is for whatever reason, snakes can scare the Bejesus out of me.

Thought I post a pic of it somewhere here. Taking a #2 on the first floor bathroom reading the paper. Put the paper down to stand up, 3' away from me what is there? a decent sized black snake all coiled up. It was a good thing I did my business before I saw it.

Found it!

B.png

Last edited:
   / Young snake ID please #13  
ANYTIME I looking at a snake outside, I'm always looking at the head and eyes and always scratching my head thinking "hmmm...." LOL Reality is for whatever reason, snakes can scare the Bejesus out of me.
😁

/ Young snake ID please #14  
It appears to be an adolescent Eastern Ratsnake.

The dorsal region turns black on adults and it's hard to tell it's the same species.

It is also known as the Black Ratsnake

I came across this adult Eastern Ratsnake crossing the trail on a recent bicycle trip:

IMG_003537a.jpg
IMG_003538a.jpg

IMG_003536a.jpg

They are actually good to have around. They're harmless and control the rodent population.

/ Young snake ID please #15  
When I see a snake outside from a good distance it has a good chance of survival. In the house or close to the house or surprising me it tends to be a bit difficult to get all the pieces back together again to identity the variety it is.

/ Young snake ID please #16  
No help on the ID, I'm no good with that. But if you want an amusing and related story, I can tell you about the time I was 3 years old, and accidentally set some copperheads free in my parents house.
Ok, I have to ask, what were your parents doing with a bunch of venomous snakes in the house? 😁

/ Young snake ID please
It appears to be an adolescent Eastern Ratsnake.

The dorsal region turns black on adults and it's hard to tell it's the same species.

It is also known as the Black Ratsnake

I came across this adult Eastern Ratsnake crossing the trail on a recent bicycle trip:

They are actually good to have around. They're harmless and control the rodent population.
I'm at the point in my life where I generally don't kill things unless they pose a direct threat. The guy on the window went about 500 yards behind the house ;)

Did have a medical emergency with one dog years ago. Went into convulsions and ran her to the vet. Ended up finding two pin hole punctures around the snout by the vet. Only conclusion was some kind of venomous snake. Find a dangerous snake out back, let them be. Around the house and I may get rid of them for good.

Thank you for the information on the species as well.

/ Young snake ID please #18  
Might be a Whitesnake. :D
1687277352152.png

/ Young snake ID please #19  
Ok, I have to ask, what were your parents doing with a bunch of venomous snakes in the house? 😁
My father owned a surveying company, among other things. He was on a job where a grader had driven across a snakes nest, killing mama, but leaving a bunch of live babies. A few of the guys put the babies into their empty coffee cups and brought them home, my father ended up with two of them. This was the late 1970’s, way pre-internet, and even before my parents had Encyclopedia Britannica in the house, so my dad had no clue of ID on these cute little baby snakes.

They went into an aquarium we had from prior hermit crabs or gerbils, with a screened lid and a brick set atop that for safety. I suspect my father’s plan was to get a book on snakes at the library the next day, so he could figure out what they were.

In any case, at some point in the interim, 3-year old me thought it was a good idea to take the lid off the aquarium, and they got loose in the house. My mother gathered up us kids and we all went to stay at our grandparents’ house, while dad was left home to find the snakes.

He found one and set it free in the large open space behind our house, maybe 200 acres separating our development from the small highway running past our borough. It took him some time to find the second one, in which he finally figured out they were actually copperheads, before finally finding the second one dead inside a baseboard radiator.

Several years later, we were living in another part of town when they started developing that big open space behind our old house. There was an article in the newspaper about a large mature copperhead they had found in that field, and I can’t help but think it was ours.