Young pup's close call.

/ Young pup's close call. #1  

Mace Canute

Elite Member
Yesterday I visited some friends on their acreage and learned that their young Bernese pup (less than 5 months old) had become sick from a bad case of Parvo last week. They found him laying on the grass outside and not moving so they rushed him into the vet clinic at the University Of Saskatchewan where they quickly did the test and confirmed he had Parvo. They said it would be around $3000 to treat him there for about 3 days but my friends can't afford that and were afraid they would have to have him put down. The vet that was in charge had the little guy put on intravenous since he was so dehydrated and gave him some antibiotics and then gave my friend some medicine and intravenous bags and instructions and she brought him home and treated him there. VERY fortunately he recovered and was almost back to his old self yesterday.

He had been given his initial Parvo shot before they bought him but not his booster shot after they had him home. They've never had any of their previous dogs given a vaccination while they owned them, some never had any for sure and their older dog who is in constant contact with the pup is healthy as were all of their previous dogs. The pup has never had contact with any other dog since they brought him home when he was 9-10 weeks old. Why he caught it is speculative, but with lots of wild animals around, it seems they are the likely source.

/ Young pup's close call. #2  
Just read a story in the last few days about three dogs dying from contaminated pond water ... some kind of algae or fungus.

/ Young pup's close call. #3  
It was stated the it was blue-green algae in a pond. The pond in question is a runoff pond near a busy intersection about a mile from me. It is full of ducks and Canadian geese, since they don't leave they have been renamed Carolina Geese. I am sure there is plenty of good things to catch in that pond. Wouldn't let my dogs near it.

/ Young pup's close call. #4  
I don’t know where your friends got their dog, but many “backyard” breeders will tell you that the dog “had all his shots” in order to make a sale. Saves them a bunch of money and they don’t care what happens to the dog after they have the cash in hand.

Unless you absolutely know the character of the breeder, take the dog to the vet first thing and get all the shots.

/ Young pup's close call. #5  
The dogs had all their shots, they died from liver failure and were taken to the Vets at the first sign of illness. I think they died less than 10 hrs after exposure to the toxins.

/ Young pup's close call. #6  
I don稚 know where your friends got their dog, but many 澱ackyard breeders will tell you that the dog 塗ad all his shots in order to make a sale. Saves them a bunch of money and they don稚 care what happens to the dog after they have the cash in hand.

Unless you absolutely know the character of the breeder, take the dog to the vet first thing and get all the shots.

We breed and sell german shepherds and they all come with a certificate from the vet that they have been immunised and the date and what follow ups are required, also is the microchip number if they would want to verify.
We are not backyarders and encourage people to contact the vet for their own peace of mind.
OP, close call and it is ugly, it is here too but we have never had any dogs fall to it.

/ Young pup's close call. #7  
All 3 of my dogs get regular shots, this thread is a good reminder as to why.

/ Young pup's close call. #8  
We breed and sell german shepherds and they all come with a certificate from the vet that they have been immunised and the date and what follow ups are required, also is the microchip number if they would want to verify.
We are not backyarders and encourage people to contact the vet for their own peace of mind.
OP, close call and it is ugly, it is here too but we have never had any dogs fall to it.

Congratulations on doing it the right way!