You really can hear corn growing

/ You really can hear corn growing #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
You really can hear corn growing, especially during it's growth spurt around this time of year. Lots of people don't know this so here it is on tape.

/ You really can hear corn growing #3  
I heard old corn farmers say that many times,also if corn knee high at 4th July it will be good year.

/ You really can hear corn growing #4  
If it's knee high on the 4th around here, it was planted late. It's common for it to be waist high on the 4th now.

/ You really can hear corn growing #5  
Times and corn have changed. The field next to me was planted late, less than 3 weeks ago and it's knee high now. And yes, when I was a kid we used to listen to the corn grow at night but city folks didn't believe it. On the farm in the junk pile, we had a check row planter. It used chains to trip the planter so the corn was planted in 30 inch rows with 30 inch spacing between plants, so it could be cultivated in both directions. Now the plants are spaced about 4 inches and in very narrow rows. Agriculture has made amazing advances.

/ You really can hear corn growing #6  
About all I like about corn is Fritos and liquor. :giggle:

/ You really can hear corn growing #7  
If it's knee high on the 4th around here, it was planted late. It's common for it to be waist high on the 4th now.
Yep. In this part of the country, if corn isn't ready around the 4th, the hot, dry weather is not good for a corn crop.

/ You really can hear corn growing #8  
Growth rate is entirely dependent on the amount of Nitrogen applied. Field corn is very nitrogen dependent. This year especially, N is very expensive and sometimes hard to get too.

/ You really can hear corn growing #9  
This reminds me of so many 'life hack' videos kids publish that explain a 'new' solution to a simple problem, except people had been doing it that way for years. Kids seem to think nothing existed until they became aware of it.

/ You really can hear corn growing #10  
About all I like about corn is Fritos and liquor. :giggle:
You don't like pork, beef or chicken? That's where most of the corn goes.