You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,091  
Pixie Sticks were a penny…

At 7 I mowed yards up and down the residential street with a manual push mower on Saturdays for .25 a lawn…

It was a good gig and every week I’d give dad $5 to put in the bank for me…

At 9 we moved back to East Oakland from the suburbs and that ended my lawn and fence painting business.

It wasn’t until age 12 with a work permit that I had my first real job at the Dealership earning $50 a week… mostly washing and vacuuming cars, starting and keeping batteries charged when needed plus if low I could put in 2 gallons from the dealership pump.

The best was getting keys for customers and showing the cars because it was pay for talking!

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,092  
I missed out on the milkman and butter & egg man. We had cows and chickens instead. Milked the cows by hand, made butter and gathered eggs. Pigs, goats, turkeys, all that stuff. I never ate anything that didn't come from Mom's kitchen until I was 16. I am too young to have experienced ice boxes, although we do have an antique icebox on display for looks in the kitchen.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,093  
I have the old family icebox in the garage right now…

Also a shoebox of ice picks with advertising.

We had a milkman and it was the same man in the suburbs and the city…

One day he didn’t show up and found later he passed… always drove the same Diverco standing up truck.

The milk box was on the porch a longtime in memory.

There was also the egg lady and the Electrolux man and the garage door man…

When they passed… no one replaced them.

All were real personalities and always a word to the kids…

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,096  
I remember a man in a old panel truck that came around about once a month. He sharpened scissors. Knives and reel mower blades.
I forgot all about those guys. Provided a valuable service and my mom often sent me out with knives, scissors, etc to get sharpened. "Now don't cut yourself on the way back. And no running".

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,097  
I can remember hanging on the back of the ice mans
truck for a free ride. For a penny you could get a paper
strip of candy on it. Upstairs was heated with a kerosene stove. To get ice out of the river in the winder
they used a chain saw and cut big chunks of ice and would haul it over the Mr Choo Choo's ice house not sure of the size probably 200 x 400 ft. they had ice all
summer long. candy bars were 5 cents and you could
get a glass of beer for a nickel. A movie ticket was 5 cents in the 40's. Every Sunday evening Gabriel Heatter would anounce the war news then the shadow
and then the green hornet for radio shows. Comic books were 10 cents.

willy

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,098  
The Shadow Knows...

The 5 cent Hershey Bar then doubled to 10 cents

When the price went up they introduced the Big Block but today everything is shrinking...

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,099  
My ex-wife and I had a milk man for about 3 years. The milk man told me he was retiring and that nobody was taking his place. What I liked was the milk was really fresh compared to the store.

Before I went into the USAF my Mom bought me a back brush from the Fuller Brush man. I still have and use that brush after 60 years. It's been to Texas, Okinawa, Spain, Germany, Detroit and California. They don't make them like that anymore.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,100  
My ex-wife and I had a milk man for about 3 years. The milk man told me he was retiring and that nobody was taking his place. What I liked was the milk was really fresh compared to the store.

Before I went into the USAF my Mom bought me a back brush from the Fuller Brush man. I still have and use that brush after 60 years. It's been to Texas, Okinawa, Spain, Germany, Detroit and California. They don't make them like that anymore.
Fuller Brush made the best stuff and apparently is still in business.

I had their shoe brush for decades and they made a great fabric brush my mom liked.