You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,071  
When I was in the USAF 1967-68 in Sevilla, Spain a few of my buddies and I rented a very nice apartment downtown. It had an icebox, which we never used. We either ate on the base or downtown.

When we had a party we would go to the ice house and buy a block of ice, put in the bathtub with some beer.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,072  
When I was in the USAF 1967-68 in Sevilla, Spain a few of my buddies and I rented a very nice apartment downtown. It had an icebox, which we never used. We either ate on the base or downtown.

When we had a party we would go to the ice house and buy a block of ice, put in the bathtub with some beer.
When I was in the dorm at college we'd buy a keg and put it in the bathtub, using a trash bag on the shower head to run cold water over it. My roommate would bring his stereo in and we had everything that we needed right there in the bathroom. :D🍻

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,073  
My dad used to show his age when he said he remembered buying gas for 14 cents/gal.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,074  
When I was USAF 1967-68 Spain gas on the base was .18 cents a gallon. After I got out I moved to the Detroit area and gas
was .30 cents a gallon. There were two gas stations on the opposite sides of 8 mile road and they had price wars for several years. It was great for all of us that traveled past these stations on either side of the road.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,075  
We had the milk and coal deliveries, but about once a week an old stake bed truck would come around and deliver cases of beer and put it in your ice box if you wanted. The beer came in heavy cardboard boxes with a double fold down lid that covered the top.

Also, there were a number of Italian immigrants in our neighborhood. Once a year a semi would come around and deliver crates of grapes to their houses. You were legally allowed to make 50 gallons of wine without being taxed or charged. Between them they had a single grape press which they moved from house to house on an old wheel barrow with a steel wheel. You could always hear when they moved that press from the sound of steel on concrete.

The whole neighborhood smelled like a winery for weeks.

B22D4203-F96B-4B33-96DB-9F24E7D1F739.png

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,079  
That's earlier than I recall but do remember the milk door that opened both from the outside and the inside so you didn't have to go outside to get the milk. Also recall the outdoor milk box where everyone hid the house key but rarely locked the door anyway.

I remember my mother poring water into the coal furnace to put moisture into the house and I recall the coal truck delivering coal through the basement window into the coal room. That room was informally known as the "mouse room" since my mother saw one there once. No mice allowed.

I remember the junk man, or "peddler" that would pick up scrap items he could sell to make a $$ or maybe trade with people for their items and make a little extra. Cast iron frying pans were a good trade item. You could pick up a gift for someone if your luck was right.

There also was a produce man that sold fresh produce and a butter and egg man that made the rounds. Lots of activities in those days and a lot of work to run a household. Housewives ruled the roost.
In the 80's I used to plant an acre or two of watermelons and sell them door to door. The neighborhoods where people sat out on porches were the best places to sell.