You didn't know him, but.......

/ You didn't know him, but....... #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
I can't just let him go without mentioning something about him. I've been a member of TBN for many years but he had his own life and never posted here. I was just 20 when my son was born and had never had much money since my father was a disabled veteran. I wanted my son to have things I never had and worked long and hard to earn enough to supply these things. Probably a little too much work and not enough time with my son. However, I did teach him the value of a dollar and that he could do or be anything that he wanted if he just tried.

It took me many years and a lot of hard hours to start up a successful business but I had to put all my profits back into the business to keep it growing, leaving not much to raise my son with but the knowledge that someday I would leave him a very nice inheritance.

As a teenager he started fooling around with electronics and took to it like a duck takes to water. He knew this would be his future vocation. When a senior in high school, riding on back of his friend's motorcycle, he was badly injured in an accident that kept him out of school for 2 years. During this time he studied electronics and computers on his own and eventually managed to graduate from Tulane in computer engineering. He built me my first compute back in 1990 and it was so advanced I used it over 5 years before it became the least bit dated.

He worked for different electronic firms for a few years and was electrical engineer for Confederate motorcycles when he designed led taillights for them making Confederate the first motor vehicle to ever have led lights. He had an offer for a large raise and went to work for another company starting out great but then slowing down as he started forgetting things. His company insurance paid for him to see the company doctor who could find nothing wrong with him and informed the company that he was just lazy. He got fired. No insurance and now his condition was getting worse. He couldn't get up some mornings making it impossible to hold a job and with no medical determination Social Security refused to give him disability so he had to live off his wife's meager earnings and what I could afford to give him.

He went through his savings fast then sold his Mustang GT and his new Ducati motorcycle to help pay bills. One day he fell on the floor and couldn't get up and his wife called an ambulance that brought him to Charity Hospital where after a few days he was diagnosed with progressive Multiple Sclerosis. After another year and a half fighting with Social Security we finally got him disability benefits to help pay his medical bills but by then his disease had progressed rapidly leaving him unable to walk or even sit up. The disease got worse and worse till he finally passed away a few weeks ago. I thank God that he left me a Grandson to love and cherish.

I was quite young when my beloved parents passed but everyone usually expects to see their parents pass someday. Losing your only child is something much harder and venting about it seems to help somewhat. Tell everyone in your family how much you love them and forget about the little things that annoy you and try to spend a little more quality time with them because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

/ You didn't know him, but....... #3  
Sorry for your loss. No words can heal that, only time.

/ You didn't know him, but....... #4  
Sorry for your loss..

/ You didn't know him, but....... #5  
Can't imagine dealing with the loss you are experiencing. Thank you for sharing and I hope you can find peace remembering the times past and knowing your son would want you to look toward the future.

/ You didn't know him, but....... #6  
I used to read stories like this, and feel very little empathy. I never understood how people became emotional over movies, or others' misfortune. Then, at 40, I had my son. At 43, I had my daughter. Now, I cannot watch the Publix Christmas commercials without reaching for a box of tissues. There is something akin to metamorphosis that happens when you have a child. I cannot explain it other than the equivalent to growing ovaries.

That said, I read your post, and could barely finish it. My 5yo son is sleeping with his head on my lap as we sit on the couch and I write this post. I cannot imagine life without him - and I've only had him here but for a moment. My deepest condolences, and God speed on helping to lessen the heartache. I cannot imagine the anguish and sense of loss.

/ You didn't know him, but....... #7  
Very sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunate story in many ways and glad you can pull the good out of it and cherish your current and future relationship with your grandson.

I don't listen to the song Cat's in the Cradle while people are around. So many of us are putting huge amounts of time and energy into our livelihoods that is taking away from where we would want to spend them. Can't say that is something new or always has been that way, but I can say that I wish I wasn't guilty of it.

Sounds like your boy was someone special. Like you have done here, it'd be good to write down some of the things you remember of him to be able to share with his son someday. The little things make the man and it would be good to have them on paper for your grandson to paint the picture of who his dad was.

/ You didn't know him, but....... #8  
Very sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself.

/ You didn't know him, but....... #9  
Prayers and our thoughts are with you