YM165 Low oil pressure

/ YM165 Low oil pressure #1  

mutt606

I have a YM165 tractor with 1050 hours.
The oil pressure idiot light started staying on longer after starting so I finally hooked a gauge to see what it really was.
I have 25 PSI / 60 PSI cold engine (1000 rpm / 2200 rpm)
When up to full temperature I have 5 PSI / 15 PSI

Yeah, not good.

What's my next step? Split the tractor and throw a $180 oil pump at it? Its mowing season and its my only mower!

/ YM165 Low oil pressure #2  
Low oil pressure may be a failing oil pump but they don't usually fail. It could be a weak spring on the oil pressure relief valve. With that number of hours I would not think the bearings could be that worn already.

/ YM165 Low oil pressure
Are you referring to the springs and such behind the oil filter?

YM165 Lube system.jpg

/ YM165 Low oil pressure #4  
While it is possible that you have an oil pump issue, a bad sender, or bad gauge is perhaps more likely. You can measure the cold resistance of the sender and the hot resistance (wire disconnected), and compare it to what the sender should be. I would measure it, or put a pressure gauge on the oil pressure sender with T before doing too much.

All the best,

Peter

/ YM165 Low oil pressure #5  
60 psi cold tells me relief valve is ok. What weight oil are you using?.

/ YM165 Low oil pressure
I've tried two senders, one generic Japanese one from the autoparts place, and one from Hoye tractor a few years ago. With the gauge reading 60 psi cold I'd also think the gauge is good. Both senders cause the red light to come on at hot low idle (which corresponds to 5 psi on the gauge).

15w-40, Going to change oil and filter Sunday, have about 50 hours on them. See if that makes a difference.

/ YM165 Low oil pressure #7  
You probably know the book calls for your oil pressure to be 21-35 psi. No doubt doing the easy things first is smart. If oil change makes no difference I think I would try adding a shim in the relief valve even though I doubt it is the culprit. I do know that is a whole lot easier than going into an overhaul or pump replacement. I suppose it is possible the pickup tube could be partially stopped up. Just another possibility.

/ YM165 Low oil pressure #8  
Should be a screen on the oil pickup tube in the oil pan. Could be dirty. My pan was super nasty and the pickup was dirty. The Hyd. system if it has a filter also is setup the same! The Ym2000 No filter on the Hyd. Sys. just a screen.

/ YM165 Low oil pressure
Well no luck.

Dropped pan and oil pickup was perfectly clean.
Relief valve was clean. Shimmed it out the thickness of a small nylon washer.
New filter and oil.

Same 5psi @ 1000 rpm, and 15 PSI at 2500 rpm when hot.

Its my only mower, so next step is going to be look for another tractor and maybe make this a winter project, or part it out.

/ YM165 Low oil pressure #10  
Bearing problem is my guess! Does it look as though a prev. owner may have removed the pan.? Perf. clean a give away!!