Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #541  
But they don't... As I pointed out in the first sentence, I pay a fair share of road taxes. I'm pointing out that if subsidies anger you, a group of primarily agricultural people may not be the best place to go on a rant about it.
Actually, I have no problem with agriculture people and their economic world they deal with to feed our country's families ( that you seem to want to bring out as subsidies) I only have problems with subsidies for people that can afford what without subsidies would be luxury priced vehicles. And subsidies for green company electricity needs. It is obviously a difficult apples to apples comparison, and those in the next few years that invested their money and reputation, for their battery cars, are probably somewhat biased to give accurate comparisons now and in future.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #542  
Only back in the 70s it was global cooling. I remember the headlines well. Another ice age on the way, just because we'd had a few years with cooler than normal temperatures.
I remember that also. You and I have went Full Circle!!!! :)

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #543  
I can't speak to Canada, but in Ohio, I pay $400 each year in extra taxes for each of my EVs. You're right that I should have included that in my expenses. However, they are my expenses, not yours.

If we get into arguing about subsidies and tax breaks, it'll get interesting, since most folks who operate tractors in the US are farmers who are heavily subsidized through our agriculture department and local property tax breaks for farm ground. I'd suggest we stop here before we wander too far off topic.
Farm subsidies lower cost of AG products. If there weren't any we would have a lengthy thread on here concerning the cost of those products.

What costs do the subsidies of EVs lower?

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #544  
Thanks, everyone, for the interesting discussion of the technology and operating costs we've had over the last few days

I see that this thread is heading off towards politics and anger (again), so I'm going to wander off to the barn.

I'll leave you with a thought to consider: When I ask a question about New Holland tractors on TBN, I'm hoping to hear from people who have experience owning & operating them. It's fun when others join in the conversation and ask interesting questions, but without actual experience somewhere in the mix, I might as well be on facebook.
Have a good time.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #545  
They could put transponders in all EVs and the manufacturers can send out something like a 1099 every year to EV etc owners...
Cars like Tesla's are already connected to the Internet so no big deal for them to log miles traveled...
Absolutely correct.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #546  
They could put transponders in all EVs and the manufacturers can send out something like a 1099 every year to EV etc owners...
Cars like Tesla's are already connected to the Internet so no big deal for them to log miles traveled...

All new vehicles will be connected to the internet soon.

Read an article in one of the major car magazines that part of the massive infrastructure bill Congress passed recently has a provision in there that all new vehicles must have circuitry installed that will not allow the vehicle to start if the circuitry decides the driver is "impaired". That circuitry also will also allow the vehicle to be shut down remotely by law enforcement.

Which is all fine...but I'm sure it won't be long till someone figures out how to hack it. AND, electronics is by far the most trouble-prone part of any new vehicle so this is just another thing that can go wrong.

Read all about it:

Of course, I've read several times of On-Star equipped GM vehicles being shut down when requested by law enforcement so this is not a new thing.

Last edited:
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #547  
All new vehicles will be connected to the internet soon.

Read an article in one of the major car magazines that part of the massive infrastructure bill Congress passed recently has a provision in there that all new vehicles must have circuitry installed that will not allow the vehicle to start if the circuitry decides the driver is "impaired". That circuitry also will also allow the vehicle to be shut down remotely by law enforcement.

Which is all fine...but I'm sure it won't be long till someone figures out how to hack it. AND, electronics is by far the most trouble-prone part of any new vehicle so this is just another thing that can go wrong.

Read all about it:

Of course, I've read several times of On-Star equipped GM vehicles being shut down when requested by law enforcement so this is not a new thing.

I was thinking of something that was not so invasive that could be installed on any EV not already equipped...
Something that just logged actual miles strictly for tax purposes...

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #548  
NO. I wouldn’t. I have no desire to own anything EV related.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #549  
......except if all us citizens allow our taxes to pay for it and we subsidize those that chose to drive these battery cars now.
what do you mean “if”. The US taxpayers are subsidizing everything about the green deal cars. Purchase price, “free” charging, 0 road tax. Everyone driving an EV owes me money.

Last edited:
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #550  
I was thinking of something that was not so invasive that could be installed on any EV not already equipped...
Something that just logged actual miles strictly for tax purposes...
:giggle: Its already in there just not turned on yet. I get notices from BMW and carfax about my 2020 BMW depicting my needs based on mileage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.