Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #491  
I look forward to a small electric garden tractor. As I get older, quiet operation is more important. The noise just beats me up. Actually, I really like all of my battery operated lawn tools (trimmer, hedge trimmer, blower and saw). So an electric garden tractor to mow and tow with would be very nice, probably quiet and reliable, and really wouldn't need more that about 4 hrs of run time. I think that's much more feasible right now than a car. Wouldn't replace my Kubota, but would be a nice mower.

I'm no fanboy, but I do see electrification as the future. I just see the gobber-ment doing it all wrong. Legislating out ICE vehicles before we have any reliable electric infrastructure is ridiculous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the federal and state governments shelled out massive amounts of cash to build the interstate system, right? This is what is needed to invest in electrification of the US vehicle fleet. Not banning the current fleet. Did they ban horses and carriages? :)
They had them. GE had the Elek Trak garden tractor. They flopped.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #492  
Well I was getting all depressed with this "all electric by 2030/35"

But just saw in the news Canada is building one of the biggest renewable fuels refinery and GM has committed millions into further development of their gas V8 engines.

So I guess the end isn't here yet. Companies are still investing in fuels and internal combustion.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #494  
Could the OP explain the title of this thread or change it?
"Yesterday. Would you buy and EV"

How about "Would you buy an EV Tractor?"

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #495  
Say an ev cost $40k I purchase my daily
beater for $5k I don't change the oil
until I get 15k to 20k miles I only drive approx
7.5k a year and the beater gets approx 28 mpg
so that would be $35k to spend on fuel etc I
would probably be approx $20k still in pocket
EV's tranny flush, radiator flush, battery replacement
12 volt, wiper blades, window washer just a few
items that need maintiance on not to mention the
cost of the charging system you need at home
and most people can't or don't know how to install
a charging system for an ev. Also most diesel engines
get 400k to 500k plus miles before they need repair
and most ev's only have an 8 year battery warranty
but the 12 volt battery is the same as a car or truck

willy
I respect people who take the time to do the math. If you only drive 7.5k/year, I agree an EV probably won't save you money. However, I think it may be closer than you think...

A couple of notes on the raw data:

EVs don't have to be crazy expensive. I bought my daily driver EV used for $14k about 3 years ago. So far, my only maintenance cost for 50K miles has been tires, wiper blades, and windshield washer fluid. I just realized I haven't lubed the suspension since I bought it, so that's about to be an expense.

My EV still has the factory 12V battery from 2016. Batteries that never have to crank a starter in the cold last a long time. (But you're right, it's gonna die some day and cost me $100 to replace.)

EVs don't have transmissions, although some have a differential that will need a lubricant change around 60K miles.

Some EVs need coolant flushes. One of mine does, and the other doesn't. The one that does require it (Chevy Bolt) has the first flush scheduled at 150K miles.

For the charging system, you need a 30 Amp 240V plug and a $180 charger to plug into it. Agreed that not everyone is comfortable installing an outlet, but if you can adjust the valve lash on your old ICE, you've got more than enough brains to do electrical work.

Agreed that diesels should last well over 500K without an overhaul, but that's not without maintenance & minor repairs. (For instance, injectors won't last that long.)

You're spot-on about the battery warranty. That's my biggest worry, and at this point, I'm hoping an aftermarket battery will be available before I need it. My batteries are actually a bunch of standard 18650 batteries inside of each pack, so when they start to fail, I may just buy a cheap spot welder and try fixing it myself. I love tinkering with old machines, so I'll just have the fun of learning some new tinkering skills.

The Bolt maintenance schedule:

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #496  
I think I just saw an EV advertised during the weekend football games where Kevin Bacon was paid spokesman. It claimed an 80% charge in 18 minutes?
I couldn’t believe that. But if true, that is a game changer.

Even if they could 50% charge in 5-10 minutes, it would probably get a lot of folks to make the change.

I couldn’t imagine my Ram 5500 4WD with 1500 ft/lb of electric torque! A pulling monster! :cool:

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #497  
I watched Cow Guy Close on RFD TV the other day. Scott had another financial expert on and they said at the current gas and electricity charges, it costs 30 cents more to charge an EV for a 100 mile trip than it does to buy gasoline for it.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #498  
I watched Cow Guy Close on RFD TV the other day. Scott had another financial expert on and they said at the current gas and electricity charges, it costs 30 cents more to charge an EV for a 100 mile trip than it does to buy gasoline for it.
The average cost/kWh in the US is 16.1 cents. (Compare electricity rates by state)

The mileage for EVs vary by model, but the worst case for a Tesla model 3 is 4.17 mile/kWh (Tesla Model 3: Efficient On Paper, But Really Depends On The Driver)

So for a 100 mile trip in a Tesla model 3, you'll use 100/4.17=24 kWh of electricity. That will cost you 24 X $0.161 = $3.86

I'm not gonna bother doing the math for gas, I think this is enough to understand that Cow Guy is actually Bull Guy.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #499  
I think I just saw an EV advertised during the weekend football games where Kevin Bacon was paid spokesman. It claimed an 80% charge in 18 minutes?
I couldn’t believe that. But if true, that is a game changer.

Even if they could 50% charge in 5-10 minutes, it would probably get a lot of folks to make the change.

I couldn’t imagine my Ram 5500 4WD with 1500 ft/lb of electric torque! A pulling monster! :cool:
That's cool technology, but the truth is that EV drivers rarely use high-rate chargers. We just plug in to the slow charger at home every night and wake up to a full tank in the morning. I'd be annoyed if I had to wait around for 18 minutes to watch them charge. In three years with two EVs, our family has only used a public charging station 4 times.

All this talk about the need to build out a network of high speed charging stations isn't really that big a deal unless you're an apartment dweller.

Status
Not open for further replies.