Yes, You Can Move A Live SKUNK!! (How To,,)

/ Yes, You Can Move A Live SKUNK!! (How To,,) #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
I have had possums stealing eggs,, so, I have been trapping them.

Today, I had a skunk in the trap.

Skunk%20Sept%202017_zpslhcmuzkc.jpg

I went and got two old rags out of the shop.
I tossed one on the trap, it did not cover completely, but the skunk "hid" under the covered part.
Then, I simply walked up to the trap, and set the larger rag over the entire trap.

I tied the rags on to the trap.

Skunk%20Sept%202017%20B_zpszmzawypr.jpg

I read that you should carry the cover so that the skunk can not see your feet move.

After the covered trap was tied, I loaded the trap on my cart, and drove about 1/4 mile into the woods.

Skunk%20Sept%202017%20C_zps7jjfn8g8.jpg

There was never any smell.

So, how do you deal with a skunk in a trap?? :confused:

/ Yes, You Can Move A Live SKUNK!! (How To,,) #2  
I watched my grandfather do it. He just got a very long pole with a hook or something at the end. He carried it away with the skunk doing the best it could to spray him. I think your approach may have worked better, but I certainly would have been concerned about the approach. Glad it worked.

/ Yes, You Can Move A Live SKUNK!! (How To,,) #3  
Very tidy!

1/4 mile? The skunk needs about 10 minutes to saunter on back.
You could have just opened the door of the trap right there.

Here in VT, It is unlawful to move a wild animal off your own property. That is, one is not permitted to pass a nuisance along to someone else. Not even to the State via State property.
So, that means you really can not "relocate" anything like a skunk, 'possum, 'coon, etc.
You can kill them though. Sort of drastic in many cases. needed in others.

/ Yes, You Can Move A Live SKUNK!! (How To,,)
Very tidy!

1/4 mile? The skunk needs about 10 minutes to saunter on back.
You could have just opened the door of the trap right there.

Here in VT, It is unlawful to move a wild animal off your own property. That is, one is not permitted to pass a nuisance along to someone else. Not even to the State via State property.
So, that means you really can not "relocate" anything like a skunk, 'possum, 'coon, etc.
You can kill them though. Sort of drastic in many cases. needed in others.

Yea, the law against moving was a REAL concern when some beavers built a dam on a Virginia Tech stream,,
The wardens had to kill the beavers,, EVERYONE was upset,,, beavers are so cute!! :eek:

It was a big article in the news,,,
My trapped animals are dealt with,, on my land. :cool:

/ Yes, You Can Move A Live SKUNK!! (How To,,) #5  
You didn't tell us "how you"released it.I trap a number of skunks/possums/coons every year; I make sure they never come back.Electric fence around my pens save a lot of critter lives.

/ Yes, You Can Move A Live SKUNK!! (How To,,) #7  
Caught one many years back when we lived in a subdivision. I called the humane society and the guy did just as the OP did. He covered the whole trap with a blanket and picket it up. Took it away in his truck and returned my empty trap about a 1/2 hour later. No smell at all!

/ Yes, You Can Move A Live SKUNK!! (How To,,) #8  
I have been using this trap opener this year,,,

2012-10-06225532800x509.jpg

Amazing accuracy,,

That would let the smell out before the door hit the ground! ;-)

/ Yes, You Can Move A Live SKUNK!! (How To,,) #9  
Caught one many years back when we lived in a subdivision. I called the humane society and the guy did just as the OP did. He covered the whole trap with a blanket and picket it up. Took it away in his truck and returned my empty trap about a 1/2 hour later. No smell at all!

Yep, that is how I do it. Use an old sheet, walk up with the sheet in front of me so he does not see my body and just lay it over the box trap. Carry it to the Rhino and set it in the bed with the sheet completely covering it and drive out into the woods a good ways, open the box trap with the sheet still on and get back away from the back side and wait for him to venture out. They always scurry away as soon as they get out and realize that they are free. I drive them a mile or so out, and I have not had them come back to the house. I also have never had then spray the sheet, even during transport.

/ Yes, You Can Move A Live SKUNK!! (How To,,) #10  
It was just about 50 years ago when I borrowed a trap from the city and set it to catch a skunk. But their trap had a solid top, bottom, and sides; just the 2 ends could be seen into and through. So when I caught a skunk, I called the city and the guy came, walked up to the side of the trap where he couldn't be seen, picked it up, and set it into a slightly larger metal box and closed the lid. There was a short pipe coming up from the top of that bigger box with a screw on cap on it. He opened that, poured in chloroform, and screwed the lid back on. He said the skunk would be dead before he got back to the office to dispose of it.