Yearly Maintenence Day for the SickleBar Mower

/ Yearly Maintenence Day for the SickleBar Mower #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I use it road side mowing in high grass and weeds which is hard duty. Once a year I replace all the broken cutter parts. This year it is one knife section and two guides which is pretty typical.

P1160820.JPG

P1160822.JPG

gg

/ Yearly Maintenence Day for the SickleBar Mower #2  
How do you like that style of guards? For grass I have always been a fan of the double swather type guard. Then Hesston came out with these but I always thought they looked too thick to slide through the grass easily.

/ Yearly Maintenence Day for the SickleBar Mower
All I can say is that it cuts good. The guides/guards don't just slide thru the grass though. On this mower there are two driven bars. The knife sections on one and the guides on the other. They move back and forth in opposing directions to increase the cutting efficiency. So the teeth aren't sliding straight thru the grass they are zig-zagging thru so to speak. So I don't think sharper points would make much difference. ???? I took this a couple years ago it shows the cutter bar components.

P1140549.JPG

gg

/ Yearly Maintenence Day for the SickleBar Mower #4  
OK. I was thinking that was a NH 451 but looking at the photos closer this must be a Caroni? I have never seen one of them in action. Thanks for the pic.

/ Yearly Maintenence Day for the SickleBar Mower #5  
I've been doing the same maintenance deal with my sickle bar mower. I use it a lot! Usually endup going thru it every third usage. Just finished with about 9 hours of sickle bar mowing the last two days. In the picture, I just finished cleaning and oiling the unit and letting it run for awhile before putting it away.

Attachments

• 20170820_161857_resized.jpg
    20170820_161857_resized.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70