Yard drain & lake drain cover

/ Yard drain & lake drain cover #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
People may already know this but thought I'd mention...both work really well and I like inexpensive solutions to things!

First is we've had loads of rain recently and over the years I've used a drain idea for yard ponds (standing water). What I do is after a hard rain mark the center or deepest part with a stick. When water subsides I either hand dig (post hole digger) or last one a few weeks ago I augered. Then put broken bricks, large rocks then as I go up smaller then gravel. Last 4" good soil and grass seed.
Now area grown in grass, you'd never know it's there...but no more pond.

Other idea I had a couple years ago is for the lake overflow was constantly filling with trash...we tried lots of different things but this works great. You need a large 55 gallon plastic trash can, one cement (12" to 18" x 2"-3" stepping stone and a few angle iron scraps, about 12" long, and 4 stainless steel treaded rod or long carriage bolts, nuts, washers. You flip trash can upside down, put stone on top and drill 4 holes so they're fairly close to edge. Drill angle iron. Run stainless through block, can, angle iron is inside can bottom, washers & nuts.
Now you want to drill an extra hole or two, bottom of can (air release).
You put this over drain pipe, angle iron keeps can up off of drain, block weights it down.
Now trash can't get in since water now comes in 36" or so below pipe.

/ Yard drain & lake drain cover #2  
The outlet from my five acre lake flows into my big lake. Last year a family of beavers moved into the little lake and built a low dam on the outlet. Now they manage the little lake level and its really nice. The little lake maintains a constant level thru the entire year.