Oil & Fuel yanmar hydraulic/transmission fluid

/ yanmar hydraulic/transmission fluid #1  

yanmar1948

Tractor
yanmar ym2010
I own a yanmar 2010 and after repairing a broken hydraulic hose, I am low on fluid. I plan to add fluid even though it hasn't been changed for several years (the dealer that I purchased it from said it is not necessary to change it, only top off when low.....any thoughts?

Can someone recommend a fluid to use?

Thanks

/ yanmar hydraulic/transmission fluid #2  
   / yanmar hydraulic/transmission fluid #3  
   / yanmar hydraulic/transmission fluid #4  
I bought it for like $40 or less for a 5 gallon pail of JD303 equivalent oil at gri supply. All you do is pull the drain plug, pull the cover that holds the screen in, pull the screen out, blast with compressed air, soak in deisel and then spray if really dirty or you can use like brake clean on it. Reassemble and fill. Literally takes longer to pour fluid in than all the other stuff once you have done it more than once. But even first time its as simple as i say.

And yes if you dont know when the last time you changed it was i would change it. Many do it here once a year. I think hydro fluid is like 500 hours but if most of us waited that long it would take 20 years to change it. I personally do mine about every 2 years, not that i think its dirty or anything but its more likely it has some water in it by then that i want out. I keep it under a shed but when its out working at the farm and it rains its out in it, also there is condensation.

/ yanmar hydraulic/transmission fluid #5  
The hydraulic filter can be found at Hoye's site....I believe there is a Napa equivalent - I just don't know what the part number is though. I more inclined to buy my parts from a Yanmar parts house - I judt don't want to find out the hard way that I used the wrong filter - but thats me.

The biggest issue I ran into is finding a pan that can hold the 5 gallons of fluid coming out. First time I did it I had quite a mess and used lots kitty litter to soap up the spillage! :laughing:

/ yanmar hydraulic/transmission fluid #6  
i just put an empty 5 gallon bucket under the sump most of these only should have 4 gallons in them.

I was referring to a screen which the older ym's have. I do not have a spin on filter. Its a mesh screen that is cleanable and reuseable.

/ yanmar hydraulic/transmission fluid #7  
get some clean utf.. tsc, walmart.. etc. and give her a change...

/ yanmar hydraulic/transmission fluid
I will be replacing the fluid and feeling good about doing so.

thanks to all for the suggestions and input

/ yanmar hydraulic/transmission fluid
I have a forum operational question:

If I receive suggestions from several people, can I reply to all of them with the same message in one step......or do I have to do each one individually?

thanks

/ yanmar hydraulic/transmission fluid #10  
I'm not the rule maker but I don't see any problem replying all in one message or separate messages. Users choice.