Oil & Fuel Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel starts but no power (it seems)

/ Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel starts but no power (it seems) #1  

gdtractor

Hi .. and thanks for letting me post .

I have a question on a Yanmar YM2000 2 cyl diesel

Have a question .. about a Yanmar YM 2000 2 cyl diesel
After changing the fuel filter in my Yanmar YM2000 last fall .. it starts ... but doesn't run good. Mostly a lack of power. I can drive it .. almost in every gear but doesn't seem like it has power .
I put Sea Foam in filter and fuel .. is why it is smoking so much .. but even when I ran that down and added pure diesel .. it doesn't seem to run right . here it idles down some but generally it doesn't . it surges at times . .. as well . any advice or ideas?
Here is a video of it starting and running Starting in May after changing filter last fall ! - YouTube

Here is what .... happens when I bleed #2 cylinder:

June 4, 2018 - YouTube

I ran the battery down so had to quit working on it for tonight.
#2 cylinder causes the engine to die....
#1 cylinder ... it does much - sometimes ... it rev's up a little .. etc .. but doesn't stop the engine ..

GD (thanks much)

June 4, 2018 - YouTube

/ Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel starts but no power (it seems) #2  
#1 cylinder on your 2000 is next to the steering wheel. It seems to be firing because it kills your engine when you bleed it. If I am understanding correctly you are saying #2 cylinder (next to fan) does not have much effect when you bleed it? If that is so then #2 is not firing as it should. When you loosen #2 are you getting fuel out the line?? If not, pump could be bad, if so, then several possibilities causing your problem. Did this problem begin all of a sudden after changing the fuel filter? I know, more questions than answers.

/ Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel starts but no power (it seems) #3  
It dies on #2 cylinder because its only pumping on #2 cyl.. when you take the fuel away, it dies..
Your problem is w/ #1 cylinder.. & the slow acting rpms tells me the control rack on the inj. pump is sticking or dragging..
Time to pull the pump & injectors..
Once you get the pump out, the rack on the pump SHOULD slide FREELY back & forth..
I dont know your mechanical ability, but w/ your wrench choice in the video.. I'd say DONT pull the pump apart.!!
It'll cost you more in the long run to figure out what you did wrong..

/ Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel starts but no power (it seems) #4  
Once more, be advised #1 cylinder is nearest the steering wheel. It is the one causing your engine to die when bleeding.

/ Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel starts but no power (it seems) #5  
"After changing the fuel filter in my Yanmar YM2000 last fall .. it starts ... but doesn't run good"

I find it suspicious when one never mentions normal bleeding procedures. . . . .

Last edited:
   / Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel starts but no power (it seems) #6  
Repeating the point on cylinder numbering, for emphasis:

Yanmar's primary line of business is boat and ship engines. With various numbers of cylinders.

Yanmar considers their cylinder numbering to start with Cylinder #1 next to the flywheel then counting up toward the far end of the engine.