Yanmar 186D - hard to start

/ Yanmar 186D - hard to start #1  

DawsonAcres

Tractor
Yanmar YM186D
I recently bought a Yanmar 186D which overall appears to be in good shape. Original paint, no signs of heavy wear or abuse, etc.
However, it is very difficult to start. Worse on a cold day but still difficult on a day in the 60s.
Symptoms:
- requires multiple cycles with the thermostart and lots and lots of cranking
- while cranking it over it has a lot of thick black smoke
Things I know or have noticed:
- once started, runs fine and no smoke
- re-starts easily
- idles low without any problems
- seems to have ok power
- thermostart gets hot and the little reservoir has fuel

Looking for any troubleshooting suggestions. As of now I was thinking next steps would be to replace the injectors and measure the compression. Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, is there a service manual available out there for the 186? I found the parts book but no manual. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 6B9773B7-2B82-410E-8C47-8E00795EFA43.jpeg
    6B9773B7-2B82-410E-8C47-8E00795EFA43.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 67
   / Yanmar 186D - hard to start #3  
It don't sound like the glow plugs are working

willy

/ Yanmar 186D - hard to start #6  
Have you tried changing the fuel filter removing all the old fuel, replacing it with fresh fuel, and running some SeaFoam through the system?

You don't list where you are, but given the time of year, I wonder if your new to you tractor has old summer diesel in it, which will make for harder cold starts.

You might also look over in main groups.io Group for a manual.

All the best,

Peter

/ Yanmar 186D - hard to start
Thank you. It does have fresh Diesel but I have not tried any sea foam. Good idea. I am roughly at sea level in Norther California.
Have you tried changing the fuel filter removing all the old fuel, replacing it with fresh fuel, and running some SeaFoam through the system?

You don't list where you are, but given the time of year, I wonder if your new to you tractor has old summer diesel in it, which will make for harder cold starts.

You might also look over in main groups.io Group for a manual.

All the best,

P

/ Yanmar 186D - hard to start #8  
I wouldn't think the injectors or compression are the issue since it runs fine once started.
How fast is the starter spinning the motor? Maybe load test the battery or swap in a new one.

/ Yanmar 186D - hard to start
It d
I wouldn't think the injectors or compression are the issue since it runs fine once started.
How fast is the starter spinning the motor? Maybe load test the battery or swap in a new one.
It does have a brand new battery and the starter seems to spin at normal speed.

/ Yanmar 186D - hard to start #10  
You said that you just bought the tractor and you don't have a manual. So maybe you don't know the starting procedure. I bought my 42 year old YM2310 about a year and a half ago and it was my first diesel anything. It did come with a real thin operator's manual though. And the manual says to pull the throttle lever all the way to full throttle. Then once it starts the throttle should be set to 1800 RPM while it warms up. I may be wrong about that 1800 RPM setting. It might be 1500 RPM. I'm tired, its been a long day. Are you setting the throttle lever to full throttle? I was surprised the tractor was supposed to be started at full throttle. All the gasoline engined stuff I have is not supposed to be started at wide open throttle. I guess with a diesel the full throttle is kinda like choking a gasoline engine. The engine needs excess fuel, but for different reasons, when started cold.
Eric