Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,511  
Studs for shop build project delivered today.
studs.jpg

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,512  
I either used Trex or Timber Tech on two porches over 25 years ago. Best decision, just as good as when installed. I am sure treated would have been past its prime. Cost more initially but well worth it.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?
#1,513  
Lumber3143.jpg

If you can't read that inset, it says $264.00 on 3/29/20 which was just before the increase started. We're almost back to that level, but that was down from the previous year.

The high peak was around $1,600

Last edited:
   / Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,514  
I noticed prices on some I-joists (online) have dropped quite a bit on Menard's website.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,515  
All the more reason we are building our house with ICF

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,516  
All the more reason we are building our house with ICF
Still need a lot of lumber to build a house. Regardless of foundation. And even using icf's.....concrete has gotten a lot more expensive too

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,518  
Yeah, it still takes some lumber to build an ICF house, and concrete sure has gone up. Not to mention the ICFs themselves.

But, we just survived a 100-year snowfall and cold snap. 8 days without power. Lots of damage from 50-100 fallen trees.

Our ICF house was entirely heated the whole time with a 34K BTU woodstove. Our HO insurance is less than 1/4 the price paid by any of our neighbors. The warmest it got inside last summer was 78F in one of the heat waves. Without any A/C system.

If I did it all over, I would also have a concrete roof.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,519  
Ya'll think the current price of lumber is here to stay unless there's a huge stoppage on building things? I'm in the process of pricing out having a garage built. My body is getting to old to be under a car in the snow.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,520  
Mike, what matters more is affodability. Price could be up (inflation) as well as one's income (inflation) OR price could be down (deflation) as well as one's income (deflation). Price is relative. Look around and see if there's a building boom going on around you: you could check your county's active building permits. If there is then the prices are going to be higher and then likely settle down as the building activity diminishes. Also keep in mind that if you are older (as am I) time starts becoming more important: I recently did a huge car restoration project because I couldn't wait around for the car I wanted to pop up (used car, of course); after 7 months I've only seen one car that was similar and it wasn't a color I would want (work to change would be too much; and the overall condition wasn't as good).