Y2K =HYDRO?

/ Y2K =HYDRO? #1  

spitter

Platinum Member
Tractor
simplicity legacy tc29d,Tc45d,Cs 2520
Just like the title says does y2k =hydro because from what I can see there are very few hydro cut pre 1999. Also I guess the cut itself was in it infancy then because there were only 2 major players then JD and NH Kubota tractors where far and few inbetween. I realy like the early vintage hydro's because of their simplicity. For me the Achillies heel of all outdoor equiptment is wire's and electronics. Now it seams everything on a new tractor has to be push button electronic this and that. I hear how people say they have the best hydro because it electronicly raises the throttle when going up a grade . I didn't think it was that hard to lean forward and goose that little red lever when I wanted more power. I would rather do that then worry about all the extra wires [mouse food] and electronics on my tractor as it got older. Or maybe it's me I just like old stuff like me.Or I turned into my grandfather.:drink:

/ Y2K =HYDRO? #2  
They still make shuttle shift, but it is getting rare to find them. I recently looked at a 2015 Kubota that was a shifter. It seems most everything in the smaller market is hydro.

/ Y2K =HYDRO? #3  
It’s all where you look. There were thousands of pre Y2K hydrostatic CUT’s built, just as there are many, many gear drive units built and sold today.

/ Y2K =HYDRO? #4  
I agree that all the electronic stuff on tractors is just fluff that will eventually require some expensive repairs. Tractor mfg.. are just following the trend like automobile mfg.. that put all the latest tech into the tractor which seems to be what most folks want which is why a pickup can cost $75K now.

I do admit though that I like the fact that I can shift to 4 WD on the fly with a flip of the switch. As for automatic throttle setting, I don't have than and never need it. As long as I have 2 arms and 2 hands, I can adjust my throttle easy enough. Flipping the switch to engage the PTO is nice but a lever is just as simple to use and likely wont wear out like the electric clutch.
I cant really say if the electronic gadgets are cheaper for the mfg. to use vs mechanical but they are sure a boon for the dealers to get those hefty repair bills.

/ Y2K =HYDRO? #5  
I have an old Bolens mower, it is Hydro....Eatons from memory, lot older than 2000's, was looking at an old 80's jap tractor, it was Hydro. You can still buy the old style here.

But, to be honest, electronics are not the pain on cars that they first were, but cars dont live and work where tractors do, nor become rats nests etc....so keeping it simple has merit IMO.

/ Y2K =HYDRO? #7  
The best sellers at the dealership I work at are the Kubota L2501, L3301 and L3901. They are far less complex than the Grand L’s of similar horsepower. The split between hydro and gear sales of these three models is probably close to even.

/ Y2K =HYDRO? #8  
Reason you see so many hydros in the scut market is the buyers. Mostly non-farmers who have 20 acres in the country.

/ Y2K =HYDRO? #9  
Our local tractor dealer has about five used Kubota’s for sale on consignment, all of them are gear tractors with R1’s. Seems everybody wants the hydro + R4’s.

/ Y2K =HYDRO? #10  
Reason you see so many hydros in the scut market is the buyers. Mostly non-farmers who have 20 acres in the country.

I not only agree but it applies to me... and my own particular situation.

And I purposely bought the bare-bones, no whiz-bang gadget, KISS, open station model. In fact, my dealership recommended it over a more expensive model option.