Oil & Fuel y17. three cylinder, not cranking

/ y17. three cylinder, not cranking #1  

keyman1202

Sat few months, won't start even with starting fluid. I removed air breather and found small mud dobber nest on engine side,,I have no idea if any of this got sucked into engine,,, it sounds like it will almost start but never does,,,, I do NOT know much about injectors,,, any hints appreciated. There could be air in lines,, and some of them I'm not sure how to bleed.

Attachments

• IMAG0206.jpg
    IMAG0206.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMAG0207.jpg
    IMAG0207.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 144
   / y17. three cylinder, not cranking #2  
should start without ether,try something else,has it been sitting long ? Any other hints as to why it does not start,does it turn over pretty quickly ? need more info

/ y17. three cylinder, not cranking #3  
Welcome aboard. :welcome: Pictures look sort of like an F17. Would that be correct? I would be very careful with ether on these engines. Heard quite a few horror stories of busted piston lands. You have a fuel feed pump shown in picture #2. Is it working? That little lever on the pump is a priming lever. Start bleeding air at the fuel filter and work your way all the way to the injectors if need.

Last edited:
   / y17. three cylinder, not cranking
I'll try. Yes f17 I next to type. Almost fires without start fluid... When it fires smoke is black,, like normal then turns white as it continues to crank. I changed the fuel... I do not know how's good the pump is.. If I pump that lever while cranking seems to be closer to starting.... Been about four months since running, but was doing this two months back..... yes, turns over fast and normal with cables,, small battery is a joke..

/ y17. three cylinder, not cranking #5  
white smoke while cranking could be injectors or low compression. White smoke is normally unburnt fuel coming through. Why don't you you try pulling it. Put it in a high gear and hold the compression release until the engine is turning over good, then release it. Shouldn't have to go that far with your bleeding but have you loosened the fuel line at the injectors and bled? When you changed the fuel what condition did it appear to be in and did you change the fuel filter?

Last edited:
heard that diesel is going bad quicker than used to..so changed it... no not filter..it was changed a year or so ago..i guess.. i'll try pulling.. not sure what difference it would make pulling though.......

/ y17. three cylinder, not cranking #7  
Higher rpm. If your compression is way low it will probably be the only way you will ever crank it. Not saying it is low, just saying if it is low.

son figured out that on the F17.... the fuel switch was sticking ...the fuel cutoff switch. is that part available?? I'll just use my finger for now to shut it off,

/ y17. three cylinder, not cranking #9  
Can you point the switch out on your picture? Does it look like an electric motor?

Yes it has electric motor that doesn't run every time you turn key but should. It is on far left directly above fuel filter and was connected to fuel cut off switch to the right. Which I can manually flip to kill tractor.IMAG0218.jpgIMAG0217.jpg

Last edited: