XR40646 Engine Shutdown Mode

/ XR40646 Engine Shutdown Mode #1  

JBob

Bronze Member
Got on the tractor to move some brush. Ran fine for 15-20minutes. Engine shutdown mode starting flashing. There is no throttle response. Runs just above idle. It had complete a regen just a couple engine hours before. Manual says to call dealership. Anyone had experience with this issue?

/ XR40646 Engine Shutdown Mode #2  
Hi JBob,
I have had the red light come on once but it was on WITH the regen lights. No throttle response either. I just let it run and shortly after the red light went out. When it did I ran the throttle up to 2600. All went back to normal went regen completed. Never had the red light on by itself. Call your dealer and ask him what to do. If it runs at idle I'd move the tractor to a spot to make it easy to winch load on a trailer in case it shuts down completely.
Knock on wood, mine is almost 5 years old and never been back to dealer. Hope it stays that way. I always run good quality fuel and keep the RPM at 2200 or higher when running. I also drepress and hold the regen inhibit function for a few seconds till the inhibit light comes on when getting ready to put the tractor away so it doesn't go into regen when I park it. I got in that habit because it always seemed to start a regen cycle when I was ready to park it.

/ XR40646 Engine Shutdown Mode
I let it run a while hoping regen would kick in. It never did.

/ XR40646 Engine Shutdown Mode #4  
What is “engine shutdown mode”?
Which light was flashing? Any codes?
What you are describing sounds like the water separator needs to be drained. When it detects water in the separator, the engine will only run from idle up to about 1400 RPM. There should be a code with it though.

What is “engine shutdown mode”?
Which light was flashing? Any codes?
What you are describing sounds like the water separator needs to be drained. When it detects water in the separator, the engine will only run from idle up to about 1400 RPM. There should be a code with it though.

I spoke to my dealer and he too ask for the code. I went to start the tractor and now it won't start. Everything acts like it should, glow plugs and battery light act as they should. Battery is fully charged. All fuses are good. Verified that. It will not crank. One thing I did notice is it isn't beeping due to parking brake off. It's like one of the safety switches has gone bad now and isn't letting it start.

/ XR40646 Engine Shutdown Mode #6  
Probably the seat switch, they are notorious for going bad. I had trouble with the one in my XR3135, would do the same thing. No start, and I had to bounce up and down on the seat to get it to start. Then if I would lean forward to get a better look down by the front end, the tractor would die. It never threw a shut down warning though. Dealer put a new one in but it wasn't much better. I wound up unhooking it and jumping across the connection, taking it out of the system. Dealer told me if I ever had to take the tractor back for Warrantee work, please plug it back in.

George

I actually have the seat switch crossed over now. I plan on checking my wiring.

/ XR40646 Engine Shutdown Mode #8  
I actually have the seat switch crossed over now. I plan on checking my wiring.

Under tractor by the pedals is small switch.i can remember exact where buy if it's not adjusted right the machine won't start.it thinks pedal is Being pushed.let us know what you find

Under tractor by the pedals is small switch.i can remember exact where buy if it's not adjusted right the machine won't start.it thinks pedal is Being pushed.let us know what you find

I tested the switch and it's working properly. I went ahead and bypassed it just to test it. Still won't crank. So far I've eliminated the seat switch, hydro pedal switch, and PTO. It truly acts like a safety switch has it locked out, especially with no parking brake beep occurring once key is turned on. Am I missing one?

/ XR40646 Engine Shutdown Mode #10  
Also check the ignition key switch. My 4046H has acted up - all air heater etc. came on but when turned to start cranking it would not always crank. No problem with starter, battery etc. I did not replace ignition key switch yet but it is suspect.