Xr4040 ECU Replacement

/ Xr4040 ECU Replacement #1  

Bulverde

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4500
Hello,

My XR4040 was just completely gone through by the dealer at 500 hrs. Over the past few weeks I hired some yard guys for tress trimming, etc. a lot of work was done at low RPM (I know…higher RPM). In any event, the tractor went into limp mode and 1700 max RPM. I tried forcing Regen but now the red light in the lower left corner and the far right Regen light are blinking. Ran it for multiple hours and still won’t come out of Regen.

I took it to the dealer and after some tests, they say the ECU needs to be replaced for 3500.00. Ouch. Questions.

1. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

2. If the ECU really does need replacing, can I install an ECU from a higher horsepower model to increase power?

3. Does anyone know of a company who can repair the ECU?

4. Where can I buy one for less than 3500.00?

Thanks in advance!

/ Xr4040 ECU Replacement #2  
I would say first thing to do is find an LS dealer that has the diagnostic tools and knows how to use them. I know, easier said than done. Nearly sounds like some kind of sensor or wiring issue though. Especially since it is still running at reduced RPMs. Yet another good reason for right to repair legislation to get passed. Frustrating when the dealer doesn't know what they are doing, yet service manuals and diagnostic hardware/software is not readily available to independent repair shops.

/ Xr4040 ECU Replacement
Thanks Claggs,

They have a diagnostic tool. I’m wondering if anyone has done the Regen delete?

Last edited:
   / Xr4040 ECU Replacement #4  
The only small tractors that I know of a regen delete has been done on is the Bransons. Simple enough because it was a passive system thrown on top of a tier III engine.

/ Xr4040 ECU Replacement
Thanks again. I just can’t believe the ECU is what is wrong and costs 3500.00.

/ Xr4040 ECU Replacement #6  
Yeah, the cost is pretty steep. I know the one for the Yanmars used in TYM's is ~$1,500 and two weeks to get them. Had to replace one due to internal faults, but that one wouldn't even crank to start. Was still under powertrain warranty, but the tractor was 2 years old at the time of sale and Yanmar was balking at that, saying that the engine warranty started when the engine was installed in the tractor. Customer ultimately decided it wasn't worth the cost of a lawyer to make them cover it and just wanted his tractor back running.

Yeah, I agree with the ECU most likely not being the culprit. I spent a day triple checking myself when it came back to the ECU on that Yanmar in the TYM.

/ Xr4040 ECU Replacement #7  
I know this is an old thread, but taking a shot anyway. I have an XR4040 and was just told by the dealer that the ECU needs to be replaced. My regens seem to work fine. I have 420 hours on my tractor. My issue is it will just die at random and flash the warning sign....no other lights. Sometimes it won't even turn over. You'll hear the fuel pump work for about 2 seconds and it'll shut that down and flash the light.
Anyway, I'm just wondering what your experience has been since you received it back? I'm wondering if there's a way to get the original ECU back and have it refurbished or something?

/ Xr4040 ECU Replacement #8  
Serious skepticism from this automotive engineer that the OP needed a whole new ECU for his issue. That sucks; very interested to hear how it was resolved.

Beer-Hunter: your issue does sound more like an ECU/wire harness issue. Dying at random is quite hard to troubleshoot, unfortunately. So it's not showing or storing any trouble codes? Did your dealer try flashing a new calibration?