xr3037 slow crank at 15 degrees

/ xr3037 slow crank at 15 degrees #1  

joe04785

Silver Member
Tractor
XR3037
I have a 2016 xr3037 that has a slow crank/hard start at 15 degrees. Installed new 800 CCA battery and tested. Cleaned all the wires on the starter and too the starter. Ohmed out the wires going to the starter and all seemed to be within spec. After it gets started the first time and is warm, the tractor seems to crank a bit faster. What am I missing? Thanks

/ xr3037 slow crank at 15 degrees #2  
Block Heater??

trickle charge your battery overnight set charger to "maintain" let it charge it really makes a difference.

/ xr3037 slow crank at 15 degrees #3  
Batteries lose a significant amount of cranking capacity in cold temps. Assuming the battery is good (load tested), ways to make cold weather starting easier are :
Block heater
Battery heater blanket
Lower (W)inter oil number (ie: 0w40, 5w40)

/ xr3037 slow crank at 15 degrees #4  
What viscosity oil are you using? If you're using the typical 15W-40 you might try 5W-40 for winter operation.

/ xr3037 slow crank at 15 degrees #5  
I installed a 12v port on the left side of the console on my XG3037 and plug a Battery Tender maintainer into this port when the temps get below 20 degree. It keeps the battery fully charged and slightly warmer. I will cycle the glow plugs twice and then start the engine. Works great.

/ xr3037 slow crank at 15 degrees #6  
To echo what others have already said: Batteries get cold, oil gets thick. The cold cranking amps will drop significantly on a cold battery. And the thick cold oil will act like sticky honey to cold pistons. Warming both will help. Change your oil before winter, and make sure you're using the correct weight.

Another thing to look at is the type of battery. Flooded lead acid is more effected by cold. Consider replacing the battery with an AGM that can stand up to cold temps better.