XJ 2025H Leaking Oil

/ XJ 2025H Leaking Oil #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
My XJ 2025H is nearly 5 years old with around 160 hours on it. It has always performed well regardless of task. This year there are significant oil leaks under the front axle, back axle, and under the engine.

I finally took it into the dealer for repairs - hopefully before the snow flies.

Its main purpose now is snow removal and lifting/lowering heavy objects out from my pickup bed.

Will see how it goes.

Yooper Dave

/ XJ 2025H Leaking Oil #2  
When you say "significant leaks" what is that exactly?

The reason I ask, I had what I thought was a significant oil leak and wanted it repaired under warranty BEFORE the warranty expired. I spoke with my dealer, and his first question was "what is significant?" To him, a leak that is flowing a stream of oil, or spraying oil, is a significant leak. A few drips every few minutes is "typical leak" is a seep, where it might drip, but more just gets things dirty under there.

I forget what the military uses to classify a leak. Its like a class 1 is a weep - just wet around the seal, class 2 is a drip, class 3 is a small stream, class 4 is a spray under pressure... or something like that, its been years. Anyway...

My tractor was leaking at the seal at the front drive shaft as it enters the transmission. It was a a class 2, a drip every few minutes. My dealer was NOT concerned about this leak and deprioritized it. My tractor sat at the dealership for a few months simply waiting to be looked at, when the mechanics got slow. Then they had to get the parts ordered, and then they fixed the leak... kind of. I can see where the paint was taken off the bolts, indicating a wrench was used, but the leak was about the same. Not sure they did the work or not. To this day, that seal leaks, a drip every few minutes while the tractor is running. Its just one of those things.

Now I could have taken the tractor back to the dealership and asked to have it actually fixed. And they would probably hold on to the tractor for a few months, order parts, "fix" the leak, and the cycle continues. It wasn't worth it at the time, and that was a few years ago now. It still leaks, and maybe when I have to replace the clutch or do other work down there, I'll replace that seal or otherwise fix the leak.... or sell the tractor for a new one. Either way, it doesn't bother me. Just have to have a drip pan under the tractor when I park it on the concrete.

So that's why I ask, what is a "significant leak," because you may not get the tractor back before the snow flies.

/ XJ 2025H Leaking Oil
When you say "significant leaks" what is that exactly?

The reason I ask, I had what I thought was a significant oil leak and wanted it repaired under warranty BEFORE the warranty expired. I spoke with my dealer, and his first question was "what is significant?" To him, a leak that is flowing a stream of oil, or spraying oil, is a significant leak. A few drips every few minutes is "typical leak" is a seep, where it might drip, but more just gets things dirty under there.

I forget what the military uses to classify a leak. Its like a class 1 is a weep - just wet around the seal, class 2 is a drip, class 3 is a small stream, class 4 is a spray under pressure... or something like that, its been years. Anyway...

My tractor was leaking at the seal at the front drive shaft as it enters the transmission. It was a a class 2, a drip every few minutes. My dealer was NOT concerned about this leak and deprioritized it. My tractor sat at the dealership for a few months simply waiting to be looked at, when the mechanics got slow. Then they had to get the parts ordered, and then they fixed the leak... kind of. I can see where the paint was taken off the bolts, indicating a wrench was used, but the leak was about the same. Not sure they did the work or not. To this day, that seal leaks, a drip every few minutes while the tractor is running. Its just one of those things.

Now I could have taken the tractor back to the dealership and asked to have it actually fixed. And they would probably hold on to the tractor for a few months, order parts, "fix" the leak, and the cycle continues. It wasn't worth it at the time, and that was a few years ago now. It still leaks, and maybe when I have to replace the clutch or do other work down there, I'll replace that seal or otherwise fix the leak.... or sell the tractor for a new one. Either way, it doesn't bother me. Just have to have a drip pan under the tractor when I park it on the concrete.

So that's why I ask, what is a "significant leak," because you may not get the tractor back before the snow flies.
Already spoke with the dealer. He liked my various modifications to the tractor and the bucket.
My significant leak is well over a pint pooled under each general area in question.
No leaks for the first few years, and now I hate to park the tractor to see what will be below after sitting for a day or so.
I have been buying oil to replace what was lost so I can still use the tractor.
There is a chance some of the issue will be going thru warranty - but not counting on it.
Dealer already prepped me that the maintenance work I want done as well as the leak repairs could be over $1,000.

/ XJ 2025H Leaking Oil #4  
Be sure and let us know what you all had done.