X 300 stalls after 10 minutes

/ X 300 stalls after 10 minutes #1  

chazdo2

Bronze Member
Tractor
walk behing power drive 21
My X300 stalls after anywhere between 10 minutes and 30. In a short period of time starts right up works fine and it stalls again after a short period. I pulled the plugs and they are dry each time look to be burning well. Any help out there?

/ X 300 stalls after 10 minutes #2  
When it stalls, does it just shut off like an electrical issue, or does it get weak and quit like a fuel issue? If the latter, check fuel flow, lines, filter, and the gas cap vent. There have been quite a few instances of those vents getting plugged up over time. Fuel being drawn into the engine creates a vacuum in the tank if the vent isn't breathing.

I've also seen reports of ignition coils getting weak and causing stalling.

/ X 300 stalls after 10 minutes #3  
Bad coil. You can test the theory with a spark tester or just ground the plug against the head and turn it over while it’s hot and won’t run.

/ X 300 stalls after 10 minutes
it just quits like somebody turned the key off. The cap is new and the fuel filter is full of gas. The vent screen on the fuel pump is clean. When it quit eachg time I pulled the plugs and they were dry as a bone. Could the back fire solonoid in the carb be acting up? Is there a static test for the coil? Ohm check?

/ X 300 stalls after 10 minutes #5  
The only test I know of for a coil is if it sparks the plug or not.

/ X 300 stalls after 10 minutes #6  
Loosen the gas cap and make sure it's not pressure from not venting.

/ X 300 stalls after 10 minutes #9  
However, he says:

it just quits like somebody turned the key off. The cap is new

Most people can tell the difference between one shutting off due to electrical or ignition issues and one losing power, sputtering and dying of fuel starvation.