WTK: Difficulty To Do Inframe rebuild on YM2000???

/ WTK: Difficulty To Do Inframe rebuild on YM2000??? #1  

treedawg

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Yanmar YM2000
How difficult is an inframe rebuild for someone with average to above average mechanical skills??

It’s come to the point where I’m going to rebuild or have someone rebuild the engine in my trusty 2 cylinder YM2000. It still runs but it’s burning oil, had limited power and excessive crankcase blow by.

If I tackle it I plan on having the head reworked at a local machine shop and possibly do the remainder in-house. Is there any advantage to completely pull the engine rather an inframe?? I’ve read that these are simple machines and the engines were designed to rebuilt by their owners out in the field. Are they really that simple????

Local shop quoted $2k and I would supply the parts. That would put me in the $3k neighborhood which is more that I paid for the tractor so I’m having a hard time justifying it.

Last edited:
   / WTK: Difficulty To Do Inframe rebuild on YM2000??? #3  
How difficult is an inframe rebuild for someone with average to above average mechanical skills??

It’s come to the point where I’m going to rebuild or have someone rebuild the engine in my trusty 2 cylinder YM2000. It still runs but it’s burning oil, had limited power and excessive crankcase blow by.

If I tackle it I plan on having the head reworked at a local machine shop and possibly do the remainder in-house. Is there any advantage to completely pull the engine rather an inframe?? I’ve read that these are simple machines and the engines were designed to rebuilt by their owners out in the field. Are they really that simple????

Local shop quoted $2k and I would supply the parts. That would put me in the $3k neighborhood which is more that I paid for the tractor so I’m having a hard time justifying it.
Where could you possibly get another Tractor like that with a re-built (known) engine for the dollars your talking about, they are not out there.

/ WTK: Difficulty To Do Inframe rebuild on YM2000??? #4  
Yes they're that simple. If you have a hammer and water pump pliers you're all set! :) :):)

Really, these were designed very carefully to be owner maintainable. And to be repaired under difficult conditions. I think the basic YM2000 block is used even more in small offshore fishing boats where simplicity is critical, compared to the number in tractors. (it also appears in semitrailer reefer units, an additional source to find parts).

I wouldn't be afraid to start that project if I had time for it.

How's your oil pressure? It's worth testing it before you start. 30 psi or better, the main bearings are likely ok and an in-frame should be NBD if the rod journals don't look scuffed - not likely. (Will be 35 to 50 psi after new rod bearings, which is where the oil is slung from to get past the rings). If something you discover along the way casts doubt on the mains - not very likely - then if it were me I would take the engine to a shop. Because the crank and main bearings slide out the back of the block, more than I could deal with here working in essentially a barn stall. YMMV.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
   / WTK: Difficulty To Do Inframe rebuild on YM2000???
After a few youtube videos and internet research I've decided to give it a try. I'm going to do a complete inframe rebuild including sleeves. It's on it's last leg and anything will be an improvement at this point.

/ WTK: Difficulty To Do Inframe rebuild on YM2000??? #7  
Might watch a video or two for pointers. Very doable with engine in tractor unless crankshaft is going to need attention.
I started following him when he got that tractor. I was anxiously waiting to see the rebuild. I forgot about him and have still yet to watch the series. One day I need to start it.