Wrong oil or wrong cap?

/ Wrong oil or wrong cap? #1  

Gunfighter

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 790, Steiner 230, IH 340U, Farmall Super C, Farmall C, IH Cub Cadet, Wheel Horse 8.75
I have a 790, one of the last with the 91 cu in engine, bought it in late
2001... To engage 4WD it just slips in with ease but to disengage
sometime requires both hands. It almost never comes out easy but
seem to be more difficult when on a hard surface.

The oil filler cap says 90 # but when I pull the dip stick, I can't see much
difference between it an the hydraulic oil in the transmission... I asked
the dealer, he says some front axles came with 90# and others with hydraulic oil.

So here is my dilemma, did someone at the factory put the wrong oil in
the axle or the wrong cap... I hate things like this it gives me a headache..

Richard
West Michigan...

/ Wrong oil or wrong cap? #2  
<font color="blue"> It almost never comes out easy but
seem to be more difficult when on a hard surface. </font>
Make sure your front wheels are straight and back up ever so slightly as you change to 2wd.

/ Wrong oil or wrong cap? #3  
As JerryG says, move in reverse to take the wind-up load off the 4wd drive line and gears. You may do damage to something if you are forcing it with two hands. It will slip out easily if you go back a few paces or less, with some slight pressure on the lever as you go.

/ Wrong oil or wrong cap? #4  
I usually end up jiggling the forward/reverse pedals on my 4010 to get it in and out of either 2wd or 4wd.

Test drove both a 2210 and 4010 when I was trying out tractors. Not sure I ever got the 2210 into 4wd. It wouldn't back up a hill that the 4010 did with ease.

Think the only time you need to take them out of 4wd is when you go on paved roads. The front wheel sizes apparently aren't exactly matched to get the same rotation. There needs to be some slippage of the tires. I can appreciate their problem because I replaced the original tires on my Gravely with tires that were obviously smaller but had the same size markings. In many cases, the size tires they needed probably just weren't available for all type tires they offer.

Ralph

/ Wrong oil or wrong cap? #5  
Oh, regarding oil.

There was a blonde once who actually checked her oil and found it low.

Then she proceeded to look for a place to pour the oil into the engine.

She finally went over to the service station attendant and asked him where she should put the oil.

The attendant wasn't too bright either. Seems he was looking at the oil cap from the same side of the engine as she was. After all, he was trying to be as close to that good-looking blonde as possible.

Here's what it looked like (attached).

Ralph

Attachments

• 733579-710.jpg
    733579-710.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 202
   / Wrong oil or wrong cap? #6  
"To engage 4WD it just slips in with ease but to disengage sometime requires both hands. It almost never comes out easy but seem to be more difficult when on a hard surface.

I find it easier if the tractor is moving slowly forwards or backwards. You shouldn't really be using the front assist on a hard surface. I also have a 790, BTW.

"The oil filler cap says 90 # but when I pull the dip stick, I can't see much
difference between it an the hydraulic oil in the transmission... I asked the dealer, he says some front axles came with 90# and others with hydraulic oil."

What does your manual call out for the front axle? I've read of two 790 spur gears (on the front axle) failing. One poster had the break analyzed and it was attributed to too light an oil. I'm pretty sure you'll want 90W gear oil...but check your manual.

/ Wrong oil or wrong cap?
Thanks for the response, the advise to back up does seem to make
it easier to shift out of 4WD.. I haven't yet tried shifting it while moving
forward but will do that next time I'm out... .

As for the oil problem, the owners manual calls for 80 / 90 wt gear oil,
the cap is stamped 90 wt but I'd almost bet the farm that is not whats
in there, to watery. It won't even stay on the dip stick when warm...
It barely stays on when cold.
Thanks

Richard
West Michigan..