Rear Finish Mower Wright Fence Mower

/ Wright Fence Mower #11  
I've had pretty good luck with the wright mower, but you have to go slower than you expect. Of course it can't wrap a post... but it does swing back and cut close on the edges.

/ Wright Fence Mower #13  
That's what I saw, and it did a pretty darn good job. If you can go down both sides of the fence, you won't have much of anything to mess with.

I know this is an old thread, but if you bought one of these or you happen to see one in operation again any chance you could take a quick video. I'd like to get the trimmer attached to the flail, but cant shell out the 10k without at least seeing it work. I asked iowa farm but they didnt have a video either. These bladed fence mowers seem to be all over the world by the looks of youtube, but this peruzzo one is the only thing I can find to actually buy in the US.

I've thought about buying one of the titan or DR models and taking the spool off and adding a blade, but would rather it work out of the box.

Thanks

/ Wright Fence Mower #14  
I know this is an old thread, but if you bought one of these or you happen to see one in operation again any chance you could take a quick video. I'd like to get the trimmer attached to the flail, but cant shell out the 10k without at least seeing it work. I asked iowa farm but they didnt have a video either. These bladed fence mowers seem to be all over the world by the looks of youtube, but this peruzzo one is the only thing I can find to actually buy in the US.

I've thought about buying one of the titan or DR models and taking the spool off and adding a blade, but would rather it work out of the box.

Thanks
===================================================

You should look at the Weed Badger if you have a significant amount of fence line mowing/weeding to do.

The weed badger mowing video is here;
youtube.com/watch?vAxpdDeYOVFQ]

The thing is you can run a very small cut (15-20 hp)with the smallest weed badger with the mowing head and be able to keep the fence rows clean of weeds by tilling along the fence line with one of the tilling heads and or use the rotary mowing head as well using the limit switch controlled hydraulic system that moves back and forth with no human intervention while mowing or tilling along the fence line.

WeedBadger

Last edited:
   / Wright Fence Mower #16  

I have that mower. Use it to trim around about 800 trees. How's this for holding 2 conflicting viewpoints at the same time.. I wouldn't sell you mine for 10K. Every time I use it, I have dreams about shooting it with slugs into it is reduced to nothing but 1/2 in pieces of metal. Oh, how I HATE that mower and yet how I love it.

Let's start with the hate. It's not wide enough, I have to get too close with my tractor (not really the mower's fault, but my tractor is 72", so, come on, that's a pretty common width).
The system to let the machine float was designed by morons. It hangs up all the time and causes it to bind when I pick it up with the 3pt and then drop unexpectedly. Hard to describe, if you saw it, I could show you easily though.
It's not far enough away from the tractor, so when you pick it up, it's real easy to get the wheels into the tires of the tractor (and break things, done this many times)
The wheels are hard plastic and suck, suck suck.. They rip apart, they don't roll smoothly
The floating deck is too low, if it was 2-3" higher, it would be SO much easier to use. It winds up in the dirt all the time.
The floating deck doesn't return fast enough, so you have to go real slow
The floating deck sometimes doesn't retrurn at all (if you're on a hill) and I have to get off and kick it.
The cut quality isn't great
The build quality isn't great

I'm sure I'm missing things because I get a case of PTSD when I think about that mower and can't think clearly. However..

It does a fantastic job when it's working right. It took what used to be an 8 hour job down to about 2. And it does a MUCH better job than zipping around with the ZT mower. And a dramatically better job than weaving in/out with my tractor between the trees. It's fast and easy (WHEN it's working right, which AIN'T OFTEN ENOUGH) to mow. Just go straight and stay close to the trees. My lawn/fields have never looked better than since I got it.

And yet, every time I go out and hook up an implement and see it there, I just want to run it over with my tractor. Probably the most annoying thing is it could be SO MUCH better with just some small (and without increasing the cost at all) tweaks. Put a stronger ram in to return the disc. Raise the disk up a bit. Extend the 3PT. Put some tires on it that aren't made out of the same material they build tires for Matchbox cars out of. Fix the float on the 3PT (which is just a design flaw). So, so easy to have a really wonderful tool instead of something that incites me to homocidal rage every time I use it (or see it; it's ugly too, the paint faded minutes after I got it.. So it's got that going for it too in the "hate" category). This thing should be setup as a 72" deck with an 18 or 20" floating component to accurately match to the tractors that are likely to pull it.

I could go on.. No, I won't sell you mine. If you have the right use for it, and you can deal with it's shortcomings (which, if you haven't noticed, are basically EVERYTHING except for how nice it cuts and how fast) I'd suggest you get one. I had to beg Woodmaxx to sell me one, they stopped importing it, probably because there was a rash of spree killings within 1 mile of anywhere they shipped one. It's like I'm in an abusive relationship with my mower, I want to see it hurt, but, if it gets hurt (which is ALL THE TIME) I stop and nurse it back to health with everything I've got to keep it running.

I might snap some video of it in the spring doing it's thing (when it's working correctly) just to show off how good it can be. If you'd like to see how bad it can be, just watch videos of congress debating the budget for a few hours and imagine a LOT worse than that. I look, every year, for something to replace it and there's just nothing out there. Yes, there are other options, but they are 5-10K (and who knows, they might be just as bad). I wish someone (Woods, please, hear my plea) would come up with something like this, <5K and release it into the market. I'd buy it in a heartbeat and shoot my Woodmaxx. And take pictures of it and share them far and wide. But, for now, you can't have her and nobody else can either AFAIK because Woodmaxx stopped importing them.

BTW, I have other Woodmaxx equipment that I'm VERY happy with. I give them a lot of credit for stopping the madness with this mower, it just sucks that there's no other options out there that are at all comparable (price and features). I beg you Woodmaxx, if you're listening, send them back to the drawing board and release this thing again. I'll buy it again happily if you just make a few changes and tweaks. The design is perfect, it does exactly what it needs to do, it just needs minor tweaks and it'll go from the object of my tractor nightmares to that of my dreams.

/ Wright Fence Mower #17  
I have that mower. Use it to trim around about 800 trees. How's this for holding 2 conflicting viewpoints at the same time.. I wouldn't sell you mine for 10K. Every time I use it, I have dreams about shooting it with slugs into it is reduced to nothing but 1/2 in pieces of metal. Oh, how I HATE that mower and yet how I love it.

Let's start with the hate. It's not wide enough, I have to get too close with my tractor (not really the mower's fault, but my tractor is 72", so, come on, that's a pretty common width).
The system to let the machine float was designed by morons. It hangs up all the time and causes it to bind when I pick it up with the 3pt and then drop unexpectedly. Hard to describe, if you saw it, I could show you easily though.
It's not far enough away from the tractor, so when you pick it up, it's real easy to get the wheels into the tires of the tractor (and break things, done this many times)
The wheels are hard plastic and suck, suck suck.. They rip apart, they don't roll smoothly
The floating deck is too low, if it was 2-3" higher, it would be SO much easier to use. It winds up in the dirt all the time.
The floating deck doesn't return fast enough, so you have to go real slow
The floating deck sometimes doesn't retrurn at all (if you're on a hill) and I have to get off and kick it.
The cut quality isn't great
The build quality isn't great

I'm sure I'm missing things because I get a case of PTSD when I think about that mower and can't think clearly. However..

It does a fantastic job when it's working right. It took what used to be an 8 hour job down to about 2. And it does a MUCH better job than zipping around with the ZT mower. And a dramatically better job than weaving in/out with my tractor between the trees. It's fast and easy (WHEN it's working right, which AIN'T OFTEN ENOUGH) to mow. Just go straight and stay close to the trees. My lawn/fields have never looked better than since I got it.

And yet, every time I go out and hook up an implement and see it there, I just want to run it over with my tractor. Probably the most annoying thing is it could be SO MUCH better with just some small (and without increasing the cost at all) tweaks. Put a stronger ram in to return the disc. Raise the disk up a bit. Extend the 3PT. Put some tires on it that aren't made out of the same material they build tires for Matchbox cars out of. Fix the float on the 3PT (which is just a design flaw). So, so easy to have a really wonderful tool instead of something that incites me to homocidal rage every time I use it (or see it; it's ugly too, the paint faded minutes after I got it.. So it's got that going for it too in the "hate" category). This thing should be setup as a 72" deck with an 18 or 20" floating component to accurately match to the tractors that are likely to pull it.

I could go on.. No, I won't sell you mine. If you have the right use for it, and you can deal with it's shortcomings (which, if you haven't noticed, are basically EVERYTHING except for how nice it cuts and how fast) I'd suggest you get one. I had to beg Woodmaxx to sell me one, they stopped importing it, probably because there was a rash of spree killings within 1 mile of anywhere they shipped one. It's like I'm in an abusive relationship with my mower, I want to see it hurt, but, if it gets hurt (which is ALL THE TIME) I stop and nurse it back to health with everything I've got to keep it running.

I might snap some video of it in the spring doing it's thing (when it's working correctly) just to show off how good it can be. If you'd like to see how bad it can be, just watch videos of congress debating the budget for a few hours and imagine a LOT worse than that. I look, every year, for something to replace it and there's just nothing out there. Yes, there are other options, but they are 5-10K (and who knows, they might be just as bad). I wish someone (Woods, please, hear my plea) would come up with something like this, <5K and release it into the market. I'd buy it in a heartbeat and shoot my Woodmaxx. And take pictures of it and share them far and wide. But, for now, you can't have her and nobody else can either AFAIK because Woodmaxx stopped importing them.

BTW, I have other Woodmaxx equipment that I'm VERY happy with. I give them a lot of credit for stopping the madness with this mower, it just sucks that there's no other options out there that are at all comparable (price and features). I beg you Woodmaxx, if you're listening, send them back to the drawing board and release this thing again. I'll buy it again happily if you just make a few changes and tweaks. The design is perfect, it does exactly what it needs to do, it just needs minor tweaks and it'll go from the object of my tractor nightmares to that of my dreams.

I think this guy just won the internet.

*couldn't stop laughing

/ Wright Fence Mower #18  
Talk about a TOXIC Relationship! lol Sounds almost like something I would post. Nothing like being totally objective.

/ Wright Fence Mower #19  
Talk about a TOXIC Relationship! lol Sounds almost like something I would post. Nothing like being totally objective.

Well, it's mowing time again.. Yup, she's up and running.. Only a few failures so far this year, and I figured I'd share them for everyone's entertainment.

First, let's start with the matchbox tires for wheels. Well, if you have one, that problem is easily resolved. I bought 2 new wheels for it this year (because the other "wheels" were near square and had nothing resembling rubber left). The new wheels are very nice. They are made of rubber. They have a grease zerk. I mean, I know, it's a fad, but, bearings might like grease, right? Nope, no zerks in the original wheels. Shoot, maybe no bearings, who knows. Anyway, this was a BIG upgrade and cheap "repair".

CARONI 8"x3" SOLID MOLDED FINISH MOWER WHEEL

So, on to the first breakage of the year. Out there mowing along and I start to notice it's not doing a good job anymore on the sides. Finish up, and I just go straight to the shop, don't even bother to look, I know this is going to need lots of tools to fix (it always does). Well, I look under the side disk, and... The blades are gone. Just gone. Nothing left at all, just the stump jumper. Well, that was unexpected (also, notable, stump jumpers will cut grass, just not very well). Anyway, upon further examination, it's clear the design flaw here. The bolts that hold the blades on extend through the blades. So, as the heads wear off, you wind up with a Russian routlette situation, when is the blade gonna let go and go flying? Well, answer was, "a few weeks ago" for me. Why would you have bolt heads holding the blades on as the "low point" on a mower? And why, if you were going to do that, use an ungraded bolt? Well, I have my suspicions (this mower is actually a joke, let's see if anyone is stupid enough to buy it and actually run it being very top of the list), but, we'll never know. Oh, and the stump jumper is bent too..

Drop the jumper (which, yes, is ALSO held on bolts from below, not a crown bolt like a "real" mower). Put it in the press, press it flat again. OK, now on to the next problem, I lost two blades, bolts and spacers. Yeah, should be easy, right? Not so much. Woodmaxx doesn't have parts. Nor do they know where to get them. So, time for some fabrication.. Bought a lawn mower blade, cut it in half on the bandsaw, bored 1in holes in it using a really mean looking bit in my drill press (blades are NOT easy to cut with a drill bit, take my word for it) and now we're back in business. And it works a LOT better again, because I put lawn mower blades on it rather than bush hog blades, they have a lot of lift, and it's mowing better than it ever did. Why they put huge bush hog style blades on this thing boggles the mind, if you hit a 3" tree with this thing, the blades would be the LEAST of your worries. After the housing bent, the belts broke, the offset disk blew apart, the bearings seized and the wheels feel off, then, MAYBE, you'd wind up with the blades being the weak point. But no, we're gonna spend the money to put 1/2in thick blades on it, but I know, we'll save by using ungraded bolts!

On a positive note, I bought another tractor that runs this thing a lot better (JD 2032). Smaller, doesn't interfere with the mower as much as the larger Kioti, and plenty of power to run it.

On to "to fix" list now, the disk still isn't returning right, but I seem to have found a "most of the way" solution, hit the trees harder and the disk bounces off the stop hard enough to return itself. I'm sure I'll be breaking something with this technique shortly and be back to talk about the welding I'll have to do to return it to service, but, works well for now, and hey, they saved at least 2 dollars putting a substandard ram into the machine that barely has the gumption to move the disk on the flat.

So, here I sit, welder in hand, fabricating blades and sourcing wheels off a caliper, grade 8 bolts in hand waiting for the next blade to take to the air. And yet, when it's working, it's so good. I'm keep threatening it, so I'm going to have to go out and do it, you need to see this thing when it's "good". It's SO good. It's fast, it does an amazing job, it's nice and easy to run, low stress (just drive straight along the row of trees).. Well, at least until your mind wanders back to how the blades are attached, then the stress level amps up significantly.

Wish me luck. If I'm not back on for some time, please read the SC newspapers for news of a man impaled by a mower blade, or a man hit by a ricochet shooting at his mower and say a little prayer for me.

You know, I do have one question. Am I the only person here who has one of these things? I mean, I know I'm vocal about mine, but, seems that there should be others who are tortured by this machine too. Are they too traumatized to talk, or am I really the only member who owns one?