Wow! How to fix this.

/ Wow! How to fix this. #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
My weight bracket broke off front of my tractor. Now what? Is it repairable?

/ Wow! How to fix this.
image-1578293351.jpg

/ Wow! How to fix this. #3  
That looks to be cast iron and that would be very hard to weld with the hole in it like that. I doubt it could be fixed well enough to hold for very long. Ed

/ Wow! How to fix this.
image-1899097784.jpg

/ Wow! How to fix this.
image-2801954602.jpg

Sorry for one pic per post but my app will only allow 1 or it locks up

/ Wow! How to fix this.
image-1186127323.jpg

/ Wow! How to fix this. #7  
I think I would look for an alternate mounting site and fab up a bracket to fit rather than try to fix that broken cast piece. Cast iron or even cast steel with threaded hole is going to be hard to fix so that it is as strong as new.

/ Wow! How to fix this. #8  
cast steel is easy to weld. some better pics, and machine type might help.

is that sheared stud with nut part of what was holding the bracket? did it not have a washer? hole looks large enough to near swallow the nut.

also, thet pic that shows a bent lip.. is that the bracket? did you snag a stump or? burried boulder?

if cast steel I think you could weld the damage and add backing to support the fasteners.

/ Wow! How to fix this. #9  
If it were me, I would trailer the tractor to a machine shop, fabrication shop, or other expert welder. They can probably fix it it, even if they need to add some bracing, gussets, or otherwise.

I am a mediocre welder, but this would be out of my (and most people's) league. Cast is a different animal -- and that's exactly the reason it broke.

Cast steel or cast iron is sort of like a brick. It's strong in some ways, but weak in others.

/ Wow! How to fix this. #10  
BIG difference in cast steel and cast iron...