Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #141  
Can I just say, what a funny story! I suppose we've all been there. I loan out my tractor, with various attachments, to my neighbors quite often. And, every time it is out on loan, I'm in the cab!

/ Would You Loan It Out? #142  
never a good Idea to piss off neighbors,so be friendly but dont make yourself or your equipment available to him in the future. I know people like him, they will suck the life out you.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #143  
Am I the only one who has a good story about loaning out equipment?
I loaned a open car trailer to a friend who is very ****. He towed it about two hundred miles with nothing on it to the pickup point, when he got there he saw that some of the nuts came off of the bolts holding the 2x10s and said planks had vibrated off the deck never to be seen again! Not only did he replace and paint the boards, he cleaned and painted the other boards to match!!!👍🏻🇺🇦☮️✌🏻

/ Would You Loan It Out? #144  
Am I the only one who has a good story about loaning out equipment?
I loaned a open car trailer to a friend who is very ****. He towed it about two hundred miles with nothing on it to the pickup point, when he got there he saw that some of the nuts came off of the bolts holding the 2x10s and said planks had vibrated off the deck never to be seen again! Not only did he replace and paint the boards, he cleaned and painted the other boards to match!!!👍🏻🇺🇦☮️✌🏻
that trailer does not depend on a pto shaft being trimmed to a specific length. gearboxes are expensive.
I borrow trailers, tractors,skid steers, trucks of friends often. I also do a lot of stuff for them for free. all balances out.
I don't borrow their pto driven implements nor do mine go on their equipment.
cause that tiller was trimmed for org posters tractor.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #145  
Twice in my life, I loaned out my old Ford 4000 tractor. Twice it came back broken, so I am in the NO, NEVER loan out your tractor/equipment camp.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #146  
You know what would be interesting?? Ask him to lend you his "small" tractor because he have a job to do where your big tractor won't fit. Let see how neighborly he really is.... If he lends it to you, then good on him and you know you probably have a good neighbor. If he doesn't then we all know what kind of person he is and we don't have to speculate any longer.

Last edited:
   / Would You Loan It Out? #147  
that trailer does not depend on a pto shaft being trimmed to a specific length. gearboxes are expensive.
I borrow trailers, tractors,skid steers, trucks of friends often. I also do a lot of stuff for them for free. all balances out.
I don't borrow their pto driven implements nor do mine go on their equipment.
cause that tiller was trimmed for org posters tractor.
Very good point about the PTO shaft!!!

/ Would You Loan It Out? #148  
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed. The tiller has been sitting all winter, so I brought it up to the shop, checked the gear oil, greased it, and slipped the slip clutch. I checked it all over for damage and set it next to my garage for an easy hook up to his tractor. He shows up in a small Branson 2400 21 HP at the PTO.... and backs up to my 6 foot wide tiller. Upon learning that his new tractor is only 24 engine HP, I advised that his tractor is simply not enough. I offered to use my tractor. He scoffed and said that he knows what he is doing, and he cannot afford my high prices! I left him to his work of hooking up to my tiller, hoping, at this point, that his 3 point wouldn't even lift it. But it did and he drove down the road.

He sends me a text message that afternoon: He said that the tiller worked very well. He was able to till at "15-1800 RPM, 1/1," and he needs to borrow it a bit longer. I needed clarification. Why so low of RPM? What is 1/1? Why does he need it longer?

Apparently, he is running as slow as the tractor could go: first gear, first range (1/1), and had to slow the RPM of the engine down to move slow enough across the ground, to do a good job. He needs it longer because he has decided to not only do the garden, but expand his garden, and also put in a big back yard.

My wife called me an idiot. Am I too nice? Too helpful? Would you have loaned your tiller (or other attachment) out to someone like this? He still has it, and I haven't heard anything back. I drove by his house this morning and I saw his garden is bigger, all tilled up, but couldn't see his back yard.

What kind of damage could I expect on my tiller of running it at low RPM on virgin soil? Its gear driven, so I assume the gears are taking a beating?
I have always made my tractor and equipment available to neighbors except one and this neighbor is exactly like yours, I wouldn’t even let this neighbor “hire” me or equipment, no go get your tiller. I have Branson small 30 hr and would never even think about putting a 6’ piece of equipment behind it. Your neighbor is like mine “all knowed up” a bum. Cut neighbor loose

/ Would You Loan It Out? #149  
I had a neighbor like that once, only over a high end pressure washer. Second time he asked to borrow it I asked him if I could borrow his wife. That put a stop to it.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #150  
Since "loan" is a noun, not a verb, you can lend it out but you cannot loan it out. But I would not do so unless I knew the person very well. And I would definitely charge for it.
Loan can also be used as a verb in American English, and can replace “lend” when the meaning is (from Merriam-Webster).
Loan as a verb