Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #61  
Y'all are lucky to have say so on who does and doesn't borrow your things. I have people that don't always ask and just borrow what ever they want then bring it back when they feel like it. If I say anything to them,their mother or Granny make's me wish I hadn't.
You're the one who allows it to happen.
Tell mother or Granny to lend them THEIR stuff and leave yours alone.

If you're not the one responsible for maintaining and fixing it, you have no business loaning it out or using it.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #62  
Try to help my neighbors. If you have the money and time bless you. Till small garden for elderly lady neighbor for free, 3 other neighbors complain I don’t do theirs too. Helped others with storm damaged trees, one helped me. Bad experiences now very rarely loan anything. Asked to rent often just say no. Rental stores have prices and contracts to protect their equipment. Have people stop to ask to bushhog this or that. They generally want you work all day for $50. I say I don’t do custom farming and don’t have time to do all I want.

Learning to be a good neighbor is also learning when to say no.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #63  
You
Try to help my neighbors. If you have the money and time bless you. Till small garden for elderly lady neighbor for free, 3 other neighbors complain I don’t do theirs too. Helped others with storm damaged trees, one helped me. Bad experiences now very rarely loan anything. Asked to rent often just say no. Rental stores have prices and contracts to protect their equipment. Have people stop to ask to bushhog this or that. They generally want you work all day for $50. I say I don’t do custom farming and don’t have time to do all I want.

Learning to be a good neighbor is also learning when to say no.
R experience here seems to be exactly like mine around here. When they need you, they'll climb a mountain to find you. You need them, they have a million excuses.

/ Would You Loan It Out?
I sent my parasite neighbor a text yesterday afternoon, asking if he was done with my tiller. He informed me that he was currently done, but has ANOTHER project he might need it for in a week or so... "But you can come get it if you need it."

I got my tiller back last night.

I checked it out. I didn't see any signs of abuse or damage. I didn't drain the gear oil, but did spin the PTO and it felt good. I hosed it off and parked it in my lower lot.

A quick note on helping, loaning, or working for neighbors. I'm totally willing to bend over backwards for my closer (both physically and relationship) neighbors. They have been great! It's been a somewhat fair exchange amongst us all. We all know each other and hang out on a regular basis. I thought this guy, from down the road, would be the same. Moving forward, if my next door neighbor needs to borrow my tiller, he'll have it, no questions asked. Because I trust him. My parasitic 'neighbor' has lost my trust in him. He might be the nicest, God fearing, family man, but I simply cannot have that type of relationship with someone with that reputation.

There has been a ton of great comments here! Thank you! I knew I messed up, but was torn morally. I am a man of my word, and when I agree to something, that something is done. This is why he was able to take my tiller. It did tear me up inside, a feeling of lending something so expensive and useful for my own property, I may never see again, all because I am a moral person. I guess I cannot let my morals get in the way of decisions like this.

Thanks again!

/ Would You Loan It Out? #65  
I sent my parasite neighbor a text yesterday afternoon, asking if he was done with my tiller. He informed me that he was currently done, but has ANOTHER project he might need it for in a week or so... "But you can come get it if you need it."

I checked it out. I didn't see any signs of abuse or damage. I didn't drain the gear oil, but did spin the PTO and it felt good. I hosed it off and parked it in my lower lot.

A quick note on helping, loaning, or working for neighbors. I'm totally willing to bend over backwards for my closer (both physically and relationship) neighbors. They have been great! It's been a somewhat fair exchange amongst us all. We all know each other and hang out on a regular basis. I thought this guy, from down the road, would be the same. Moving forward, if my next door neighbor needs to borrow my tiller, he'll have it, no questions asked. Because I trust him. My parasitic 'neighbor' has lost my trust in him. He might be the nicest, God fearing, family man, but I simply cannot have that type of relationship with someone with that reputation.

There has been a ton of great comments here! Thank you! I knew I messed up, but was torn morally. I am a man of my word, and when I agree to something, that something is done. This is why he was able to take my tiller. It did tear me up inside, a feeling of lending something so expensive and useful for my own property, I may never see again, all because I am a moral person. I guess I cannot let my morals get in the way of decisions like this.

Thanks again!
Could probably make a good video....

/ Would You Loan It Out? #66  
I usually give a first chance.
But fool me once and bye/bye.
I've made me a list and many are X'd off.
I once made a guy drive 2 hrs to return that tool he borrowed for a day, 3 weeks back. X
Then there's the guy that said 'it was used and due to break', another X.

My SIL, always he actually will put that tool back in its place.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #67  
It's a shame that people are like that. I've only loaned out my Kubota to 2 close friends. One guy had a hydraulic line leak. He replaced it, and gave me 5 gallons of hydraulic oil when he returned it. The other guy was all but certain he knocked a reflector off the top, and tried to buy one from a dealer. (It's an aftermarket top, and they couldn't help him). It was missing when he got it from me. Both of them gave me money for the use, although I never asked for any. Someone from down the road, who never stops by to talk, who never paid me, and then had the audacity to complain about my "prices". No way.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #68  

Good deal. Sounds like no harm no foul. Don't beat yourself up about it. Sounds like all was good and no hurt feelings either way. Just be honest that you don't really feel comfortable loaning it that far next time.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #69  

Thanks again!
It's not a moral issue, really. He's a user and abuser and therefore has proven he does not deserve the help. I help out neighbors plenty often. Clearing out trees or brush a couple times and I get some firewood from it. Win win. I plow some neighbors when the snow is really deep, especially if they are out of town or something. And they have helped me on occasions too when I needed a second hand for something. That is the way it should be. We help each other out. But anyone like your neighbor? Wouldn't get the time of day after i figured him out. You did the right thing and now need to be ready for when he asks for it again in another week or so...

/ Would You Loan It Out? #70  
The non-payment, then your price is/was too high, should have been your BIG clue about this person (your wife is right)

I glad you got your tiller back!

To those that loan to family, I stopped doing that. My brother wanted to borrow my truck to pick up a riding lawn mower. He said the seller had a ditch he could back into and just drive the lawn mower on.
When I got my truck back, I later noticed the paint was all messed up on my tailgate. Next time I saw my brother, I asked him about it. He said we couldn't get the lawn mower on, so the seller showed him how to disconnect the straps on my tailgate to get it lower. They must have let the tailgate slam into the bumper.

I then said did you see what you did to my tailgate? He said, yeah but it's only a truck, trucks are expected to be used like trucks.

It took that incident to learn about my brother. Next time he wanted to borrow my truck, I told him NO, I can scratch and dent it up myself, without any help from him.

If you own a truck, trailer, tractor, and implements, everyone including your brother will want to borrow them. Just say NO! Everyone learns the hard way.