Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #31  
This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.
Nope, nope, and no friggin way. If he wants to put the purchase price in YOUR attorney's trust account against the possibility that he might wreck it then, maybe. and the cost to rent should be high

/ Would You Loan It Out? #32  
Not a chance. My neighbors first summer they after moved in and after first winter saw me outside with my power paddle sweeping the rocks back on my driveway from my grass. Didn't know them from a hole in the wall, asked to borrow it. "nope, don't loan tools at all, a hammer maybe It cost me $1K for the power head and attachment". They're nice people but I don't loan stuff.
I know two people I'd loan anything to, I know when it came back, it would be in better shape than when they got it...........M

/ Would You Loan It Out? #33  
Repeat after me "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." You had fair warning over the $50 non payment.
This guy is not (going) to be your friend. He simply lives near you. Why in heaven's name would you think to loan him your tiller? Last year, you loaned him your time, fuel, and wear and tear of your equipment, in exchange for $50 which you didn't get. Paraphrasing another old adage "Fools and their assets are soon parted."
I've learned from this forum. I have lots of equipment that others in the neighborhood don't have. Anytime I'm asked for equipment, I answer in the affirmative, and that I'll bring it over and knock off (the job) that needs to be done. "Let me know when it's a good day.". Mostly, I do not hear of that "good day". And when I do, I'm fine for the couple hours involved. Invariably, we get a pie, or home honey, or the like.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #34  
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed. The tiller has been sitting all winter, so I brought it up to the shop, checked the gear oil, greased it, and slipped the slip clutch. I checked it all over for damage and set it next to my garage for an easy hook up to his tractor. He shows up in a small Branson 2400 21 HP at the PTO.... and backs up to my 6 foot wide tiller. Upon learning that his new tractor is only 24 engine HP, I advised that his tractor is simply not enough. I offered to use my tractor. He scoffed and said that he knows what he is doing, and he cannot afford my high prices! I left him to his work of hooking up to my tiller, hoping, at this point, that his 3 point wouldn't even lift it. But it did and he drove down the road.

He sends me a text message that afternoon: He said that the tiller worked very well. He was able to till at "15-1800 RPM, 1/1," and he needs to borrow it a bit longer. I needed clarification. Why so low of RPM? What is 1/1? Why does he need it longer?

Apparently, he is running as slow as the tractor could go: first gear, first range (1/1), and had to slow the RPM of the engine down to move slow enough across the ground, to do a good job. He needs it longer because he has decided to not only do the garden, but expand his garden, and also put in a big back yard.

My wife called me an idiot. Am I too nice? Too helpful? Would you have loaned your tiller (or other attachment) out to someone like this? He still has it, and I haven't heard anything back. I drove by his house this morning and I saw his garden is bigger, all tilled up, but couldn't see his back yard.

What kind of damage could I expect on my tiller of running it at low RPM on virgin soil? Its gear driven, so I assume the gears are taking a beating?
You're wife is 100% correct. Actually, she put it mildly.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #35  
Nope, nope, and no friggin way. If he wants to put the purchase price in YOUR attorney's trust account against the possibility that he might wreck it then, maybe. and the cost to rent should be high
Yep, replacement price deposit plus 20% for your inconvenience

/ Would You Loan It Out? #36  
I only borrow from certain types of friends, and only lend to certain types. "WE" usually return full of fuel, or washed, or or or. We respect equipment, and trust each other. We all know, without being said, because we are honorable men, if you break it, you fix it.
I've had friends offer to loan me tools, and sometimes, I say, thanks but no thanks. They are not that certain kind of friend...

/ Would You Loan It Out? #37  
You can ask this user the following question.

User= can I borrow your tiller?
You = Is our friendship worth 100 dollars
User= well of course it is ! (hes lying)
You = well then go and rent one....

/ Would You Loan It Out? #38  
I am a nice guy too. It is hard for me to say no but I do not lend out equipment ever. It is just not worth it. If it breaks I want to break it. It is a whole lot easier to be mad at myself verses some jack___ that does not care.

When I was young and dumb I let someone one ride my four wheeler because of peer pressure and I knew they did not know what they were doing. They wrecked it and guess what, not a dime or anything to help fix it. Just laughed about it.

This dude is just using you and I bet once you do say "no" he will bad mouth you to others and treat you like a dog from then on. I cannot stand people like this. It took me a LONG TIME to learn to say "NO".

/ Would You Loan It Out? #39  
I loan my stuff all the time to good frirnds and family , But no way to a jerk like that.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #40  
Yeah, it sounds like that guy needs to buy his own tiller if he's such an expert. If he doesn't like the "high price" of your services that he never bothered to pay anyways, let him pay the high price of a new tiller for himself. See how much he likes that.

If he's expanding his yard it makes me wonder if he's using it to break virgin ground, which definitely has the potential to contain rocks and heavy roots that could damage your tiller.

I'd ask for it back if I were you, tell him you need it for a project of your own.

I used to loan my stuff out like a kind person and have gotten repeatedly burned. I don't loan anything anymore, I work too hard to be able to buy the tools I need to have them broken by somebody who doesn't value them as much as I do.