Would a slasher be a good substitute for a riding mower?

/ Would a slasher be a good substitute for a riding mower? #1  

Boganism

Tractor
None
Hi all, so as my last post entailed our brand new cub cadet decided to break after 60 hours. Now sadly there's no mowers available in our area (well there's one but no photos have been provided ect). Now the thing is,,there is a Massey te20 with a slasher available within the same price range as a mower, although it is admittedly just slight overkill, would it be worth it getting it? As it comes with a slasher

And would a slasher be in any way comparable to a lawn mower for cutting grass? I plan to use the tractor for other stuff but atm it's main use would be grass cutting

/ Would a slasher be a good substitute for a riding mower? #2  
Slasher being a rotary mower/field mower/brush hog type machine?
If so, it isn't going to leave you a lawn like cut. They're more brutal machines. If you've got lawn, you would want a finish mower, or possibly a flail set up for grass...
That said, I believe the TE20 is basically the same as an 8N. Once set up to do what you want, it should mow happily, and easily forever...

/ Would a slasher be a good substitute for a riding mower? #3  
Depends but not really.

If you want that low cut like a golf course, no

If the bush hog has mower style blades with wings, itll do pretty good. But will probably only go down to 2 or 3 inches.

If it has blunt blades with no wings for lift, probably not as good

My bush hog has blades with wings to help lift the grass and discharge it. In the right conditions, itll match my finish mower in quality of cut just not as low. But in most cases, it leaves heavier grass clumps and not as clean of a cut.

/ Would a slasher be a good substitute for a riding mower? #4  
A finish mower can be added in place of the slasher at what is usually a reasonable cost.
David from jax

/ Would a slasher be a good substitute for a riding mower? #5  
Fergie + 3PH finishing mower = 👍🏿👍🏿

/ Would a slasher be a good substitute for a riding mower? #6  
Hi all, so as my last post entailed our brand new cub cadet decided to break after 60 hours. Now sadly there's no mowers available in our area (well there's one but no photos have been provided ect). Now the thing is,,there is a Massey te20 with a slasher available within the same price range as a mower, although it is admittedly just slight overkill, would it be worth it getting it? As it comes with a slasher

And would a slasher be in any way comparable to a lawn mower for cutting grass? I plan to use the tractor for other stuff but atm it's main use would be grass cutting
Sadly box store riding mowers are prety much all junk now. You have to step up into a low end commercial unit for it to last 10+yrs now.

/ Would a slasher be a good substitute for a riding mower? #7  
Just fix the CC and move on if it does the type of mowing you require....

Last edited:
   / Would a slasher be a good substitute for a riding mower?
Just fix the CC and move on it it does the type of mowing you require....
Haha we are don't worry, but the nearest the dealer can fix it is the25th November, and here in aus the grass needs mowing atleast twice a week. So we're pretty much forced into buying another atleast for the meantime

Slasher being a rotary mower/field mower/brush hog type machine?
If so, it isn't going to leave you a lawn like cut. They're more brutal machines. If you've got lawn, you would want a finish mower, or possibly a flail set up for grass...
That said, I believe the TE20 is basically the same as an 8N. Once set up to do what you want, it should mow happily, and easily forever...
Well the one that I'm looking at I presume is just a basic single blade unit, however there is a finishing mower for sale which I can buy well within our price range, so well probably end up doing that most likely. As all the mowers that are listed are..... Well either 950 hours or just 5k +

Sadly box store riding mowers are prety much all junk now. You have to step up into a low end commercial unit for it to last 10+yrs now.
Yeah that's been our experience, the old cub went for 15 years doing work that our old tractor would sometimes struggle in, little beast with no issues. But the brand new one bent a blade after striking ground in the first 5 hours (dealer messed up the deck leveling apperantly) and now a failure to start at 60 hours, with it literally doing the easiest work a lawnmower can do. Certainly trying to avoid buying anything newish or cheap but we'll, sadly it's either an old te20 or a cheap Husqvarna or yardman/mtd