Worm Drive Saws - Which One

/ Worm Drive Saws - Which One #1  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G & Craftsman DGS6500
My old circular saw gave up its magic smoke the other day. Decided I want a worm drive saw to do heavier cutting and ripping. I have my cordless for lighter work. I have been looking at these models and as you can guess ratings are all over the place.

Dewalt DW535B

Hitachi C7WDM

Makita 5377MG

Milwaukee 6477-30

Skil SPT77WML

Any suggestions

/ Worm Drive Saws - Which One #2  
I have the Milwaukee 6577 and I love it! its a beast... but like you I have a cordless saw for lighter work.

I originally tried to purchase the Rigid worm drive, but home depot Canada screwed up, and I ended up with the Milwaukee.

I'm 5'8" and with the worm drive, i can reach across and cut 48" of material (probably common on all worm saws)

Of the brands you listed I'd go Skil, Milwaukee then Dewalt.... for brand preference for a worm drive. not factoring in price.

/ Worm Drive Saws - Which One #3  
My old circular saw gave up its magic smoke the other day. Decided I want a worm drive saw to do heavier cutting and ripping. I have my cordless for lighter work. I have been looking at these models and as you can guess ratings are all over the place.

Dewalt DW535B

Hitachi C7WDM

Makita 5377MG

Milwaukee 6477-30

Skil SPT77WML

Any suggestions

Makita... I have two, one for wood,and one for masonry with a diamond blade . Can't kill them...

/ Worm Drive Saws - Which One #4  
They are all about the same. The lightest one with the ability to hang it on a 2x or other with either a factory or aftermarket retractable hook would be my choice.

/ Worm Drive Saws - Which One #5  
I have the dewalt and it's been rock steady. Built my cabin with it and it fell quite often, never worried about it breaking.

/ Worm Drive Saws - Which One #6  
I bought Craftsman worm drive about 20 years ago, built like a tank and alot of power.

/ Worm Drive Saws - Which One #7  
I think the Craftsman WD saws were rebranded Skill Saws
I've employed both Skil and Milwaukee on a commercial scale...they do not hold up any better than other typical grade commercial saws...
Currently have a Skil beam saw (worm drive with chain bar)...
If I ws going to outfit a crew these days I would look at the Makitas based on general quality and lifespan...

/ Worm Drive Saws - Which One #8  

Dewalt DW535B

Hitachi C7WDM

Makita 5377MG

Milwaukee 6477-30

Skil SPT77WML

Any suggestions

I personally hate worm drive saws. The length of them wears me out and I've yet to see any significant advantage to them other then being able to see the blade while cutting. I've owned all of the listed brands and a few not on the list. Makita is my favorite by far. Milwaukee might be a distant second, they are hit or miss. The others are all junk.

I use my Makita 18volt makita for 100 percent of the wood and Hardie that I cut, and I use my Makita 7 1/4 with masonry bits for cutting concrete.

This is the saw that I use on concrete. I paid $99 for it at Home Depot and that included a free 4 1/2 Makita grinder about ten years ago, give or take a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-5007M...976&s=gateway&sprefix=makita+7,aps,346&sr=8-5

What are you cutting that you cannot do it with a good quality cordless saw? I've ripped 16 foot long 2x's with mine and built entire houses using it and my 12 inch chop saw. Between those two saw, there isn't much that I need another saw for.

/ Worm Drive Saws - Which One #9  
I have the Skil, it's far from junk. Yes it's an older model, but it's got a zillion hours on it, and it still works like new.

For the record, I don't like them either, as they are too heavy, but when I want power, I grab the Skil.

My go to corded circle saw is an older Bosch, man it's been a good saw!!

SR

/ Worm Drive Saws - Which One
The saw Im looking to buy will be used with rough sawn oak, both green and dried. It takes a lot of grunt to rip.

Ive used the worm drive saws before and they have a lot more torque just not as quick in light cutting. And yes they are heavier.

A lot of the older saws were great. I am wondering how the new improved made in china versions are.