Workshop Expansion

/ Workshop Expansion #1  

sodamo

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H (Mine) BX2380 (wife’s)
When I designed the house, I reasoned a 24x42 garage would be ample - 8 ft on the house end for a bathroom, pantry, and laundry, the next 24 ft would be a double garage space for 2 vehicles, leaving me with 10x24 for my workshop. Now the fact that I had never had neither a garage nor workshop before, this seemed rather adequate - didn't work out that way. Basically, I've also had the garage space as a work area. Still my table saw, drill press, mitre saw, etc, etc take up the area. The only time a vehicle was parked in it was because my pickup had Sheetrock or plywood that hadn't been off loaded yet. My wife has been very patience.

So when we decided to concrete the drive, I reasoned I could expand my shop area by bringing the concrete up to the floor level. This would give me an area another 10ft by 19 ft. I sunk 4 inch pipe to help deter people from driving thru it. Although a nice area, it was suitable only for dry days, so I began to think about adding a cover. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that whatever roof had to be supported, so why not screen it in as well. The more I thought about it, the more reasonable it seemed that real walls would be better than just screens - after all, had to protect the tools from the weather. So, if I'm going to build a real roof, supported by real walls, then I might as well move the garage door and the people door so it is secure. So, that's where I am :)

Over the next few days, I'll post pics of the progress. Basically, the outside is done, working inside.

This is workshop end of garage, expansion laid out

image-3916749605.jpg

Laying out first wall, looking into existing shop area

image-1003677109.jpg

First wall up

image-266907909.jpg

Starting roof

image-386554739.jpg

Walls framed

image-4237975888.jpg

Rafters up

image-4137678021.jpg

Ready for tin

image-4133847960.jpg

Roofing installed

image-1817828661.jpg

Hardie panel walls

image-1612071844.jpg

Hardie panel up

image-3062459276.jpg

Paint is good

image-554396830.jpg

Door reinstalled

image-3590105700.jpg

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Last edited:
   / Workshop Expansion #2  
Looks good!

A question; why not extend the original roof/wall lines instead of an "add on"?

/ Workshop Expansion
Thanks.
I did consider it - briefly. Much more complicated and more expensive. The original walls are a concrete SIP, ProTec. The roof is also insulated panels.

/ Workshop Expansion
Figured the most useful way to finish the inside would be pegboard. I installed before reinstalling the garage door.

image-1845960718.jpg

image-4137898747.jpg

image-3052940285.jpg

/ Workshop Expansion
And I have started reorganizing.

image-1505950507.jpg

image-3907800600.jpg

My overall general plan (subject to revision).
Also open to suggestions.

image-387819543.jpg

/ Workshop Expansion
Thanks

/ Workshop Expansion #8  
Looks good. I can tell you are in a temperate area. If I built that in Central Texas (no insulation), it would be a hot box come June with temps easily over 140 in it by noon,

/ Workshop Expansion
Thanks. My temp extremes are 58 - 81F, mostly in 60's at night, 70's daytime. The house and garage are in fact insulated, making for quite even temps,but I didn't see the need for the extension.