Workshop Air Conditioning - Frigidaire Made-in-China!!

/ Workshop Air Conditioning - Frigidaire Made-in-China!! #1  

Buggs67

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2014 CK2510 TLB
This has been a record hot summer and as I get older I find the heat more exhausting. So I'm going to air condition my workshop. It's 20X30 and well insulated. It will maintain a temp of 75 - 80 with the doors closed. As it has no windows I am getting a through the wall unit.

After looking around the internet and reading reviews I settled on a Frigidaire unit at 12,000 BTUs. Ordered it from Amazon. It arrived today. Looked good on the outside. Opened the box and all the Styrofoam was destroyed. The side is dented in and the other side bowed out, as well as one sprung screw. I sent Amazon a Return Request. I was also unhappy to discover it is made in China! Now I'm waiting to hear back (48 hours)

So I'm back on the quest.

Any experience with this type of project, I'd appreciate your input.

/ Workshop Air Conditioning - Frigidaire Made-in-China!! #3  
I got what the call a portable ac. It looks like a dehumidifier but is larger. It will keep my 28’x30’ below 80 on a hot day. It nice since you can just crack a window about 6” to put the vent tube in. I had a window unit but the wasps built nests in it and destroyed it. With no windows I am not sure if you could figure out how to vent a portable one or not.

/ Workshop Air Conditioning - Frigidaire Made-in-China!! #4  
Oh Snap.......I wish somebody would have told me this 12 years ago when i bought my 2 Chinese made Frigidaire air conditioners from a big box store that by the way is keeping my house quite comfortable as I type this reply.

/ Workshop Air Conditioning - Frigidaire Made-in-China!! #5  
I dont see anything arriving "made in China" surprising anymore. Made somewhere else is kind of surprising tho..

Amazon usually will refund fast if you are re-ordering what you send back.

there are some really good ductless air conditioning units available. dig deeper.

/ Workshop Air Conditioning - Frigidaire Made-in-China!! #6  
Split Ductless Air Conditioners

/ Workshop Air Conditioning - Frigidaire Made-in-China!! #7  
Here is one to consider..

DIY Ductless Mini Split Install - MrCool Unit - YouTube

Once we move into house....next spring I'll be ready for the same thing......our 30x50 was partially closed off for a temp living area so a 30x30 is shop space.....one of these should help keep humidity down a bit.....

/ Workshop Air Conditioning - Frigidaire Made-in-China!! #8  
Japan Makes the best package refrigeration units. A/C or DH. They just got it down!

/ Workshop Air Conditioning - Frigidaire Made-in-China!! #9  
Mitsubishi is very well regarded and makes some of the best, most reliable split systems. we put heads in each of our 3 bedrooms with a single unit outside and love it.

/ Workshop Air Conditioning - Frigidaire Made-in-China!! #10  
I have both a Mitsubishi mini split and one of the MrCool DIY units-the Mitsu is in our residence and the 48k Mr Cool unit I installed in my 40x60 shop. It is currently holding a comfortable 70F while the outside temp is bumping 90F.