Working above the roof line

/ Working above the roof line #11  
Here, they are using Hardie siding that looks like Board and Baton in new construction. You have to paint it, so you lose the look of real wood, but it is very popular. Years ago, back in the 70's, give or take, Western Red Cedar was very popular on the gable ends of brick homes. Woodpeckers, squirrels and even racoons eat through it to get into the attics of those homes. It's too expensive to repair, so I get hired to cover the holes with metal plates and paint to look like the cedar.

/ Working above the roof line #12  
Is a lift my best bet here to handle this safely?
Lift would work, but only if you're a real flexible person. In a lift you're going to be working primarily on your knees reaching through the railing to fasten your siding. I would use a combination of scaffold and a ladder with ladder hooks or roof jacks for that. Scaffold the front portion and then run planks/picks from the scaffold to the ladder or roof jacks on the roof. You can't really install the siding before the roofing and do it right because the siding should be going over the flashing. If using roof jacks, ask the roofer to install them when he does the roof, to make it easy.

/ Working above the roof line #13  
You can ask a local scaffold company to supply engineers drawing to safely rig up scaffold over the roof.

They know their products and have experience with this kind of situations.

Maybe they can provide the drawing at no cost for you with the rental of the equipment.

Rosette scaffold or end brackets could be a solution to go over the roof without touching it.

Don't forget to properly anchor your scaffold to the wall.

/ Working above the roof line
As far as sheathing goes, the first thing down will be 1" rough cut boards. This is a traditionally built timber, so the last thing we want is to look up and see some ugly plywood. To facilitate a good deck for the singles, they're going to put 3/8 ply on top. Not the cheapest way, but it still ends up less expensive than the steel, and I won't have to worry about 28' of snow smashing down on my car while I pull out.

As @BlueKnife said, I'm not sure how we could successfully put on the siding prior to roofing and still get that roof to wall joint flashed appropriately. For the walls, there will also be no sheathing, just the B&B attached directly to the frame. I have 0 concern about building strength when we're looking at this type of joinery. There will be a 1' overhang all the way around, so the siding should be well protected. Will those lower boards need to be replaced someday? Sure 100% they will, but for this building, there's a right way and a wrong way, and the right way is wood all the way :)

1699387813977.png
1699387835507.png

/ Working above the roof line #15  
seems to me you & wife have done an outstanding job & wise to inquire about how to safely finish the job. good luck along the way

/ Working above the roof line #16  
Beardley, care to let us know your use for that building? With the joinery and beams, I could see some type of venue to show it off. Or maybe personal use and it will be passed down hrough the generations. Looks great. Love to see more pictures. Jon

Beardley, care to let us know your use for that building? With the joinery and beams, I could see some type of venue to show it off. Or maybe personal use and it will be passed down hrough the generations. Looks great. Love to see more pictures. Jon

In the simplest terms, it's a garage, but we call it 'the barn'. It will serve as the home for our 2 cars, and of course the tractor, which the poor girl has been living outside for 11 years, so it will be nice to get it inside. On the 2nd floor, we plan on eventually insulating, and turning it into an office / fun space. We both work from home, so having a place to go outside of the house proper wouldn't be the worst thing.

/ Working above the roof line #18  
That is extreme craftsmanship to house 2 cars and a tractor.

That is extreme craftsmanship to house 2 cars and a tractor.

As they say anything worth doing, is worth doing right. Our house is a timberframe as well, so it's become our 'go to' building method.