Work bench adapter

/ Work bench adapter #1  

4shorts

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 5740,BX25D
I bet your all saying "what in the heck is a work bench adapter"? :D

Well it all started this past summer when I put in a new milling machine. I had my work bench out in the area where the mill is now and I could get at my manual Ironworker and the bench vise easily at that time but when the new mill showed up I had to move the bench over and up against a wall to make room for the mill.

By doing that I had the vise in an area where I could hardly use it ( see first photo). I still needed the manual Ironworker but it was really in the spot where the bench vise should be. To make matters worst. About 12 years ago I had built a fixture that would hold transmission, small engines or just anything that even needed to be welded but couldn't use it lately because of the new location of the work bench.

Today I decided to do something about it. I got the foot print of each tool. For material all I had was two scrap pieces of 1/2" X 8" x 16" flat bar so I drilled the foot print holes. Tapped them all. Cut a few small slots with the Ironworker and then welded the two parts together and bolted the plate down to the bench.

Although the Bench vise will be there for most of the time If I decide that I need to use the holding fixture or the manual ironworker it's just a matter of unbolting the vise and bolting down the tool I need to use. It may not be the ideal situation but it will work fine for me. It's a simple solution to small problem.

Nutt'en to it :D

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 231
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 225
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 249
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 242
  • a8.jpg
    a8.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 276
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 298
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 206
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 218
  • a9.jpg
    a9.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 262
  • a10.jpg
    a10.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 251
   / Work bench adapter #2  
Look's like a great idea to me. Now you just need a strong quick release system for each tool so you can change out each tool quickly.

I should add that idea to my collection for a later modifications to my shop.
Tucker

/ Work bench adapter #3  
I did something similar with a spare 4 inch bench vise and a small 8 inch bench grinder I have.

I took two pieces of scrap plywood and bolted the vise to one piece, and the grinder to another. Both were mounted with flush carriage bolts from underneath so the bottom of the plywood remains smooth.

I have a work table with folding legs that gets hauled outside to weld on, or grinding etc.

Now if I need a vise or grinder outside, I take the mounted ones and c-clamp them in place on the work table using the plywood bases. You can't really put a whole lot of force into what you're doing, but most times you don't have to anyway.

Sean

/ Work bench adapter
When you have a small shop keeping it organized is essential. I use my motorcycle hoist as a bench as well. Last evening I made a pedestal to mount one of my benders on. Now I have the room to bend longer pipe with it this way and if i need to go outside the shop I can take the pedestal with me and use it that way as well.

Attachments

• bender1.jpg
    bender1.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 173
  • bender2.JPG
    bender2.JPG
    657.9 KB · Views: 181
  • bender3.JPG
    bender3.JPG
    674.8 KB · Views: 166
  • bender4.JPG
    bender4.JPG
    807.8 KB · Views: 199
   / Work bench adapter #5  
Very nice, Paul! I've got a similar thing going on my welding/burn table. My vice is mounted so if it's in the way I take one hold-down bolt out and the whole thing hinges out of the way. I'll have to get some pics and post them.

Chilly, You reminded me of a similar thing I had going in my old "shop". My old shop was actually a well house/storage building/work shop. Very limited on space and work area. I needed a quick mount for my bench grinder so I made a special base to mount it to that consisted of a piece on the bottom that would slip into my vice (which was permantly mounted to my work bench) and I could tighten it down. So if I needed the grinder I'd grab it off the shelf, slip it into the vice jaws, tighten the vice, plug it in and get with it.:thumbsup:

/ Work bench adapter #6  
I find that a lot of times even if I do have room to mount a grinder it's never where it's convenient to use. Sure as the devil the long end of the stock I want to grind on one wheel is too long and is into the wall.

Sean

/ Work bench adapter #7  
I find that a lot of times even if I do have room to mount a grinder it's never where it's convenient to use. Sure as the devil the long end of the stock I want to grind on one wheel is too long and is into the wall.

Sean

I hear that! Never just right. I've got a homemade pedestal to mount one to but don't have one worth the effort. The one I have now has no guts. The one I was going to mount on the pedestal burned in a fire.:mad:

/ Work bench adapter #8  
I found a couple pics of the vise and grinder mounts today.

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

The grinder is pretty light-duty, but does most of what I need it to.

Sean

/ Work bench adapter
Well it looks like it works good. I know I'm glad I made the bench adapter. I've used it a dozen times so far. Thanks for posting.