Woodworkers, HELP! Wood For Truck Bed Divider,,,

/ Woodworkers, HELP! Wood For Truck Bed Divider,,, #11  
I don't mind gray wood but if I did, big auto parts stores will have scores of colors of paint to match most auto colors.

/ Woodworkers, HELP! Wood For Truck Bed Divider,,, #12  
Don't know your budget gut have you looked at a bed extender?

61EK8carlzL._SL1500_.jpg

/ Woodworkers, HELP! Wood For Truck Bed Divider,,, #14  
Wrap your board in indoor / outdoor carpet. The stuff with a good backing will keep the wood dry and will last for a long time especially if the seam is at the bottom.

/ Woodworkers, HELP! Wood For Truck Bed Divider,,, #15  
Why not just get an adjustable cross bar? I have one in my truck and it works perfectly for gas cans and the like. I can still slide wood and stuff like that under it if needed. Plus it's light and quick to R&R. I think around $30 at Autozone.

That is the best easier option. A little more involved but worth the time would be to install E-Track.

IMG_1924.jpg

Lots of attachment points for E-Track tie downs and accessories. Plus this style load bar won’t bend your box sidewalls out.

/ Woodworkers, HELP! Wood For Truck Bed Divider,,, #16  
Here’s a tip with buying wood to keep warping to a minimum, don’t buy wood from the heart of the tree. You can judge from the rings at the ends. The more straight they are, the more it will stay true.

/ Woodworkers, HELP! Wood For Truck Bed Divider,,, #17  
I have a chunk of plain 2x6, painted black. It came with the truck.

It is twisted, but not so much that it doesn't work. It's about 1/2" too short so it barely catches, but that also lets me put it behind the seat and still get the rear doors closed.

Imperfect as it is, it works well enough I haven't bothered to replace it in the half dozen years I've had it.

/ Woodworkers, HELP! Wood For Truck Bed Divider,,, #18  
Here’s another pic of my E-Track load beam holding gas cans in place against the tailgate. (F150 stepside for reference)

IMG_0361.jpg

Last edited:
   / Woodworkers, HELP! Wood For Truck Bed Divider,,, #19  
Add me to those recommending untreated wood. For what you are doing, there is no need to mess around with treated lumber.

/ Woodworkers, HELP! Wood For Truck Bed Divider,,, #20  
Why not two layers of A/C plywood. Picture frame the perimeter edges with pine and paint the crap out of it