Woods XL-160 rotary mower

/ Woods XL-160 rotary mower #1  

neilw

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
This morning I set out to do battle with a rather wild portion of my place. Completed the pre-start check on the tractor and started to warm up. While warming up I removed the gear box plug on the Woods mower. The oil dripped out an ugly emulsified light brown goo.

Sucked out the offending goo and went to look up what type gear oil I needed to fill the gear box with. No joy can't find the book and the Woods web site is not real big on consumer help.

Does anyone know what type oil Woods recommends? Both weight and GL type please.

While I'm picking your brain. Any ideas how the oil became contaminated. The mower did sit all winter in the weather. However four weeks ago it had no signs of emulsification prior to my first run.

Could the water have seeped in thru the pressure valve on top of the gear box and not mixed with the oil till I used it four weeks ago?

/ Woods XL-160 rotary mower #2  
My Woods BB60 uses 80W-90W API GL4, GL5.

/ Woods XL-160 rotary mower #4  
The water was probobly in the gearbox when you checked it the first time, but the oil was sitting on the top. It most likely mixed up when you ran it, and the emulsified mix is what you saw when you checked the second time. Change the gear oil and keep an eye on it, I bet you will be OK. Checking frequently may have saved you.