Woods RM600 mower deck, blade balance/shaking

/ Woods RM600 mower deck, blade balance/shaking #1  

Enrico8n47

Tractor
1947 Ford 8n
My Woods RM600 (unknown vintage) has worked well for the 4 years I've owned it. Powered by a 1947 Ford 8n early model (front distributor), which runs great. I just prepped it for the mowing season with new blades, greased all zirks, tore down and lubed all casters and axels, and cleaned it top to bottom. When the deck is raised at low RPM, it shakes as if it's out of balance, then smoothens out with higher RPM. It has always shaken when raised, but not this much. I'm concerned about safety, and longevity of the spindle bearings. Can anyone who has experience with this model of mowing deck advise if this is considered normal, or how to remedy the shaking?

/ Woods RM600 mower deck, blade balance/shaking #2  
Check to see if your PTO shaft is assembled incorrectly. The internal shaft yokes must line up. If not, you will get a bad shake at high shaft angles. Newer shafts have dimensional and pattern shapes to prevent this from happening while older ones with square shafts often were put together wrong.

/ Woods RM600 mower deck, blade balance/shaking
Thank you for the quick response! This unit does have a square shaft. I didn't know there was a specific way for the square shaft to go into the square receiver. Not sure what the internal shaft yokes are, and the correct way of lining them up, but I will do some internet research. If you have a diagram handy that you can attach, it's appreciated.

Please see illustration attached. How can I tell if the internal shaft yokes are lined up correctly? Should the whole "male" square shaft be disconnected, rotated 90 degrees, and reinserted into the "female" square hole? Or, is it about the PTO, does it matter how the yoke lines up with the PTO splines? Please forgive my basic questions, I've maintained this mower deck, but not delved into the details of the drive mechanism. Any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• RM600yoke.pdf
    191.7 KB · Views: 29
   / Woods RM600 mower deck, blade balance/shaking #5  
PDF's don't work here on TBN. Can you post a photo ?

Sorry, didn't see the PDF download.

Richard

/ Woods RM600 mower deck, blade balance/shaking #6  
Please see illustration attached. How can I tell if the internal shaft yokes are lined up correctly? Should the whole "male" square shaft be disconnected, rotated 90 degrees, and reinserted into the "female" square hole? Or, is it about the PTO, does it matter how the yoke lines up with the PTO splines? Please forgive my basic questions, I've maintained this mower deck, but not delved into the details of the drive mechanism. Any assistance is appreciated.

/ Woods RM600 mower deck, blade balance/shaking #7  
Gotta look like this, not with inside joints 90 degrees off. But, I see your diagram shows a small button on 1 side of the male shaft that plugs into a corresponding indentation groove in the female shaft. If that's how it goes together, it may be ok and the problem is elsewhere.

Attachments

• pto.JPG
    pto.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 23
The only button on my deck is at the end of the drive shaft, used to hold the female splined end of the shaft onto the PTO. I'll check to see if the shaft's universal joints are lined up as in the picture you attached. Thanks again!!

Problem solved! Removed the male "square" shaft, rotated 90 degrees, reinstalled it, took it for a test drive. Thank you for your help!

/ Woods RM600 mower deck, blade balance/shaking #10  
In addition to the pto shaft sync, new blades are not necessarily balanced from the manufacturer. I've come across some pretty out of balance brand new blades.