Woods Finish Mower - Leaking Gearbox Question

/ Woods Finish Mower - Leaking Gearbox Question #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
i have a new (only used about 5-6 times) Woods Batwing 180 finish Mower pull type. I thought the center gearbox was leaking a bit now I'm sure of it. I have not had time to look closely but it seems to be coming from the breather vent plug. aside from making sure it's tight, any other tips? anyone have this issue? I doubt it's any other top seal or something major because it's new.

/ Woods Finish Mower - Leaking Gearbox Question #2  
All you can do is make sure the fill level is right and check it every time you use it until you are comfortable with what is happening, if anything. I had a gearbox in a truck I thought was leaking so I added more. Come to find out I was overfilling it and oil would come out the breather.

/ Woods Finish Mower - Leaking Gearbox Question
All you can do is make sure the fill level is right and check it every time you use it until you are comfortable with what is happening, if anything. I had a gearbox in a truck I thought was leaking so I added more. Come to find out I was overfilling it and oil would come out the breather.

thanks. over filling crossed my mind. the funny thing is...today I removed the hydro piston arm and a large cover plate to get a good look at the box...as soon as I removed the cover plate...i noticed the top of the box was covered in gearbox oil...good thing though...there "stuck" on the top of the gearbox was a copper crush washer....hmmm. i bet that should be put on the vent plug...so we'll see. Having used the unit about 6 times, I guess I can't say I'm not luckily any longer...