Woodmaxx vs Betstco vs Nova vs other?

/ Woodmaxx vs Betstco vs Nova vs other? #1  

JCoastie

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE
I am a homeowner of 6 acres, nothing fancy, just a wooded lot that we try to maintain.
We live in the south, the wood is mostly pine with a few oaks sprinkled about, we keep the shrub brush areas between the trees cut down.
Around the house is clear and maintained with a zero turn, the rest of the lot is a little much for the zero turn.
I have a 40hp LS MT240HE, I have an old 5' rotary cutter which I'd like to replace with a ~6' flail, and would like a ~6' tiller for my wife's garden. (Tractor width is ~66")

~$2-3k for the flail and ~$2k for the tiller are within my pucker factor. The local Tractor Supply stores currently have neither in stock, and none of the local dealers have flails in stock.

I was looking online at Woodmaxx and Betstco products, it seems neither company has any good customer service reviews.
The Woodmaxx equipment seems heavier (a bonus?) and comes with slip clutches. I like that the flail mower has a hinged rear gate for easier maintenance.

In order to fit through the trees, having a centered attachment is important to me, or at least the ability to center it via hydraulics.

Are either if these online companies that ship direct to home good options in this price range, and is there better reputable product in this price range I should be looking at?

Flail mowers:
FM-78H Flail Mower | Flail Mower Attachment | Tractor Mower | PTO Mower | -WoodMaxx兌/url] (hinged gate, larger rotor & roller diameter)
[url=https://betstco.com/product/68-heavy-duty-flail-mower-fh-efgch175kitt/]68" Cut Heavy Duty Hydraulic Offset Flail Mower, FH-EFGCH175KITT | Betstco Sales, Parts, and Service:
(cheaper, larger swing diameter, larger capacity)
Nova Tractor MFZ heavy duty flail mower series (hinged gate, larger roller)

Tiller
RT-8 Rotary Tiller | PTO Tiller | Tiller Attachment | Tractor Rotary Tiller - WoodMaxx兌/url] (C blades,, more blades, 8" depth)
[url=https://betstco.com/product/fh-tm170/]67" Centered Rotary Tiller, FH-TM17 | Betstco Sales, Parts, and Service:
(cheaper, L blades, less blades, only 6" depth)
Nova Tractor HTLS heavy duty rotary tiller (7 inch depth)

Last edited:
   / Woodmaxx vs Betstco vs Nova vs other? #2  
Don't limit yourself to just online sales & shipping companies for flail mowers and tillers. I would also look at Woods and Landpride (Kubota) implements from dealers in your area or region. Both these companies have flail mowers and tiller implements that are equal or even better in quality and price to Woodmaxx and Nova. They will also do shipping if you requested.

Regarding Woodmaxx implements, I do own a chipper and flail mower by Woodmax and both are of high quality manufacture, with heavy gauge steel and after three years ownership, i have found Woodmaxx to have extremely reliable implements with very great customer service. Woodmax shipped direct to me with a lift gate delivery truck, which allowed my tractor w/pallett forks to manage offloading and moving to where I could do final preparation. Just remember to have heavy rear ballast(rotary cutter) on your tractor when you do offloading.

/ Woodmaxx vs Betstco vs Nova vs other? #3  
I have a few Land Pride implements. They have stood up well over the years I've had them. Grapple, disk harrow, LPGS, rear blade. There is no reason to reject - Woods, WoodMax, Rhino - they are all superior implements also.

You will find that many manufacturers make a full range of the same implement. Light duty - all the way to extreme duty. It's just a matter of choosing what you need.

BTW - I think Land Pride quit selling flail mowers. Last time I checked the LP site - flail mowers were discontinued.

/ Woodmaxx vs Betstco vs Nova vs other? #4  
I have a Woodmaxx chipper and I never had issues with communication, but they never gave good estimates lead times for shipping. I’m not sure why you want ship to home, that will cost a lot of extra dollars I’m sure. The shipping on a lot of attachments to loading docks is cheap because they leverage dead head loads. Driver heading home with an empty truck will throw something on for $50 vis needing thousands to justify the load that got him that far from home.

/ Woodmaxx vs Betstco vs Nova vs other?
I’m not sure why you want ship to home, that will cost a lot of extra dollars I’m sure.
Agreed, I have a truck and a tractor with forks, so I don't really need that. The "free shipping" that most advertise is built in to the cost and I realize that.
If we're splitting hairs on shipping costs, most of the online orders do not charge sales tax, so that's a small added bonus as well.

The local Kubota dealer here sells Taylor-Pittsburgh (Taylor-Way) products, which I understand to be like many, made in the USA with globally sourced (China) parts.

/ Woodmaxx vs Betstco vs Nova vs other? #6  
Agreed, I have a truck and a tractor with forks, so I don't really need that. The "free shipping" that most advertise is built in to the cost and I realize that.
If we're splitting hairs on shipping costs, most of the online orders do not charge sales tax, so that's a small added bonus as well.

The local Kubota dealer here sells Taylor-Pittsburgh (Taylor-Way) products, which I understand to be like many, made in the USA with globally sourced (China) parts.

I guess that's how most stuff is made with globally sourced parts........

/ Woodmaxx vs Betstco vs Nova vs other? #7  
I have a Beststco medium duty flail. Pretty solid and well built. Customer service has been good to me when I needed some replacement hammers. It doesn't like rocks. No rear gate does make it difficult to service, but I'm happy with my flail. Even in the center position it is still offset a bit, about 8".

/ Woodmaxx vs Betstco vs Nova vs other? #8  
I've had my Novatractor heavy duty flail (MFZ) for a couple of years. I wouldn't say I've intentionally abused the mower but I have made full use of it's "heavy duty" construction. Customer service has been outstanding with getting me parts when I needed them. I couldn't be more pleased with the mower.

The owner, Jack, lurks around here every so often. He's been fantastic.

/ Woodmaxx vs Betstco vs Nova vs other? #9  
I am a homeowner of 6 acres, nothing fancy, just a wooded lot that we try to maintain.
We live in the south, the wood is mostly pine with a few oaks sprinkled about, we keep the shrub brush areas between the trees cut down.
Around the house is clear and maintained with a zero turn, the rest of the lot is a little much for the zero turn.
I have a 40hp LS MT240HE, I have an old 5' rotary cutter which I'd like to replace with a ~6' flail, and would like a ~6' tiller for my wife's garden. (Tractor width is ~66")

~$2-3k for the flail and ~$2k for the tiller are within my pucker factor. The local Tractor Supply stores currently have neither in stock, and none of the local dealers have flails in stock.

I was looking online at Woodmaxx and Betstco products, it seems neither company has any good customer service reviews.
The Woodmaxx equipment seems heavier (a bonus?) and comes with slip clutches. I like that the flail mower has a hinged rear gate for easier maintenance.

In order to fit through the trees, having a centered attachment is important to me, or at least the ability to center it via hydraulics.

Are either if these online companies that ship direct to home good options in this price range, and is there better reputable product in this price range I should be looking at?

Flail mowers:
FM-78H Flail Mower | Flail Mower Attachment | Tractor Mower | PTO Mower | -WoodMaxx兌/url] (hinged gate, larger rotor & roller diameter)
[url=https://betstco.com/product/68-heavy-duty-flail-mower-fh-efgch175kitt/]68" Cut Heavy Duty Hydraulic Offset Flail Mower, FH-EFGCH175KITT | Betstco Sales, Parts, and Service:
(cheaper, larger swing diameter, larger capacity)
Nova Tractor MFZ heavy duty flail mower series (hinged gate, larger roller)

Tiller
RT-8 Rotary Tiller | PTO Tiller | Tiller Attachment | Tractor Rotary Tiller - WoodMaxx兌/url] (C blades,, more blades, 8" depth)
[url=https://betstco.com/product/fh-tm170/]67" Centered Rotary Tiller, FH-TM17 | Betstco Sales, Parts, and Service:
(cheaper, L blades, less blades, only 6" depth)
Nova Tractor HTLS heavy duty rotary tiller (7 inch depth)

You might want to consider a King Kutter tiller.
They are better quality than the Tarter Gate tillers sold by TSC
Usually the best prices on KK are from Blain's Farm & Fleet in Janesville, WI.

I live 1,000 miles from Blain's, but their shipping prices seem to always be good.
I have bought 3 KK items from Blain's, including my 60" tiller.
I think that they may have all been drop shipped from KK.

/ Woodmaxx vs Betstco vs Nova vs other? #10  
I agree that King Kutter makes a good tiller. I have a 10 year old KK that is built like a tank.
Flails have been on my radar over the past year, but I'm looking for a ditch flail. There are much fewer options in the ditch flail market.... either a Betsco or other Chinese flail, or very expensive Italian flails - not much in between. I think come spring I'll go with a Peruzzo flail.