Woodchippers: PTO vs gasoline driven

/ Woodchippers: PTO vs gasoline driven #21  
Kind of a drifting question but on the newer hydraulic in feed wood Max's are both the upper and lower rollers powered I know on my older with mechanical roller feed chipper only one of the rollers is powered.

/ Woodchippers: PTO vs gasoline driven #22  
I just bought and used for 3.6 hours a WoodMaxx MX-8600 (6"). It runs behind my Kioti DK45 with 38 PTO HP. Extremely impressive machine. Made in the USA, Veteran owned,
Ah, no. Their products are made across the pond and always have been. They might be put together (assembled here) but made, no way. Vet owned, certainly.

/ Woodchippers: PTO vs gasoline driven #23  
Some years back, I bought second hand, a Jimma pto driven chipper that I ran on the back of one of my M9's which was absurdly over powered for it, so I added a slip clutch to the input stub so I wouldn't destroy it. Did a lot of chipping with it but got tired of chipping stuff and roasting it is much easier so I sold it and sold it for more than I paid for it. They seem to be in great demand, fine with me. Don't haver one now and don't want another. I prefer roasting slash myself. The Jinma would eat a 6" knot no issue and never slowed down at all but then I was inputting around 86 pto into it.

I got tired of it, so I sold it. It was fun for a while but once the 'fun' wore off, it went down the road.

Keeping the knives and anvil sharp was no issue as I sharpen commercial chipper knives and square commercial chipper anvils all the time. I very rarely ran it at 540, didn't have to as I was inputting way more power than it was designed for. I usually ran it at 1/2 throttle.

It was sort of fun to use but for me, roasting is a much better alternative and it exactly what I do today.

I always have a nice pile of saw logs up next to the equipment barn I give away all the time. I don't heat with wood, have no desire to and like another commenter on here, we use processed wood pellets as supplementary heat with propane as the principle heat source with a high efficiency (95%) condensing furnace. We have 2 biomass stoves, one in the shop and one in the house. In the shop, I also use propane but I have in floor PEX heat in there.

Attachments

• 100_0001.JPG
    100_0001.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 100_0002.JPG
    100_0002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 100_0003.JPG
    100_0003.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
   / Woodchippers: PTO vs gasoline driven #24  
Bought it for 500 and sold it for a grand after I flogged on it pretty hard. Pretty typical Chinese junk but it did work most of the time at least.

/ Woodchippers: PTO vs gasoline driven #25  
Ah, no. Their products are made across the pond and always have been. They might be put together (assembled here) but made, no way. Vet owned, certainly.
According to their site
All of our MX-series chippers are proudly made in the USA! All of our WM-series, and DC-series are made overseas.Each of our wood chippers is powerful and durable. Every chipper is precisely manufactured and comes with a warranty. The ratings on our high-powered commercial and residential chippers can't be beaten.

/ Woodchippers: PTO vs gasoline driven #26  
I doubt it. I know the every increasing cost of steel, I deal with it every day as I own and operate a machine and fabrication shop and there is no way they could hold any price constant for more than 30 days in this very volatile market. They may very well assemble them here but I'd be willing to bet the parts and sub assemblies are being made 'over there'.

I quit buying into that hype long ago. Advertising is cheap but being 100% above board is rare today. One of my favorite examples of that is Lincoln Electric and their welders. They proudly state 'Made in USA' on the outside but take off the cover and look inside and you'll see that the components are sourced everywhere but here. I suspect the same applies to their wood chippers.

Not saying they aren't a good machine, on the contrary. What I'm saying is, what the ad says and what it really is, is probably 2 distinctly different things.

I have no dog in the fight what so ever I do know that if I was to every buy another chipper, it would be a Bandit anyway.

/ Woodchippers: PTO vs gasoline driven #27  
Incorrect. The DC & WM series are Chinese. The MX series are made in the USA.

"WoodMaxx patented MX-Series wood chippers are proudly designed, engineered and manufactured in the USA at our Akron, NY facility".

Attachments

• WoodMaxx-Laser-MX-Series.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
   / Woodchippers: PTO vs gasoline driven #28  
For those who know 3pt mounted wood chippers, who makes them in the US now? I looked at a few online and some said assembled in the US and another didn't give any information on it. I am looking for one that would be good for a 20-40 PTO HP tractor. Nothing like a commercial user but on occasion I would use it hard. Most times it would be in the shed. Any recommendations for a US made brand?

/ Woodchippers: PTO vs gasoline driven #29  

A friend has a gravity feed 4” model on his B7800 and loves it, I think he’s had it 10+ years, hope this helps

Last edited:
   / Woodchippers: PTO vs gasoline driven #30  
For those who know 3pt mounted wood chippers, who makes them in the US now? I looked at a few online and some said assembled in the US and another didn't give any information on it. I am looking for one that would be good for a 20-40 PTO HP tractor. Nothing like a commercial user but on occasion I would use it hard. Most times it would be in the shed. Any recommendations for a US made brand?
See my post #27.