wood stove insert stopped drawing

/ wood stove insert stopped drawing #1  

Lineman North Florida

Veteran Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC with FEL & John Deere 5093E with FEL ,Kubota SVL 75-2
My insert has performed flawlessly for 8 years but it stopped drawing last night when I went to build a fire so today I pulled the cap off and cleaned the 6" stainless steel liner with brush and rods, my question is when I installed this 6" liner inside existing 8" flue I installed what the stove store called fireproof insulation around the 6" flue to give it a tight fit in the 8" and make the stove draw better it is not as tight now as it was then would regular fiberglass insulation with the paper pulled off of course work or do you buy into the fireproof insulation thing, I remember paying about 3 prices for the stuff at the stove store and I've always heard that fiberglass insulation wont burn any info appreciated.

/ wood stove insert stopped drawing #2  
I did not know there was a special fireproof insulation. When we reno'd the house I know all we have is regular fibreglass around ours. Ours is double walled chimney pipe and the two SS walls have about 2" of insulation between them (I assume fire grade from the factory). Then where it goes through the wall there is regular fibreglass around it.

I would not mess around though, had I known I would have bought the proper stuff just for peace of mind and perhaps insurance safety.

NOTE: Did you try opening a windown when it stopped drawing? Sometimes that will work.

/ wood stove insert stopped drawing #3  
I would first check with you insurance company and/or any local code requirements before I did anything.

I just use regular insulation around my stove pipe in the shop and no problems yet, BUT if you have a fire, and the ins. company finds out, and/or it is against code, you may be in a pickle.

PS, do you have punctuation keys on your keyboard (.,?:; etc). Your post is VERY difficult to read as it all just runs together.

/ wood stove insert stopped drawing #4  
Since you cleaned the chimney you do not have an obstruction....

Was the clothes dryer running? In our city house if the clothes dryer was running it would make starting a fire very difficult. In fact it would pull smoke out of the fireplace. :eek: Once the fire was drawing the dryer could be run. Just the start'n was a problem.

A clothes dryer dump a LOT of treated air out of the house.

Later,
Dan

/ wood stove insert stopped drawing #5  
Wind conditions?

Atmospheric pressure?:)

Soot build up on the top plate in the insert?:)

/ wood stove insert stopped drawing #6  
LNF, your the winner. Best run on sentence so far. As someone who can't write a gramatically correct sentence either, thanks for making me feel better. I'm saying this in jest, so I hope you don't get mad. keep up the good work lol.

/ wood stove insert stopped drawing
Sorry about my typing skills or lack there-of, but I resolved the problem, I had put the baffle back in the stove upside down. After much head scratching I figured it out and tore it all back apart and put it back right this time and it is drawing like a champ, thank's for the reply's. Frosty2 I can take a joke and constructive criticism:D,for many years I had no need for a computer or typing in my line of work, all I needed was a bigger hammer if something didn't fit:D:D:D.

/ wood stove insert stopped drawing #8  
I am glad you resolved the issue. :thumbsup: Nothing worse than a house filled with smoke.

And that was a MUCH easier post to read:thumbsup:

/ wood stove insert stopped drawing #9  
for many years I had no need for a computer or typing in my line of work, all I needed was a bigger hammer if something didn't fit:D:D:D.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!:confused2:

/ wood stove insert stopped drawing
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!:confused2:
I'm fair with electrical problems too,at least a little better than I am at putting a wood stove back together.:D:D