Wood Splitter From Tractor Supply Opinions?

/ Wood Splitter From Tractor Supply Opinions? #4  
my 15 year old TSC splitter with a Briggs 1450 is still going strong. And it's had a lot of use.
Synthetic oil every two years, can of Sea Foam once a year, and a new plug maybe every five years.
Beam and heavy iron/steel still looking good and paint has held up.
I use silicone/teflon spray on the mechanism after a thorough cleaning.

Only thing a little skimpy were the oem hydraulic hoses, but today's models look like heavier gauge hoses.
They should...same splitter is a thousand dollars more expensive now.
Make sure hydraulic tank is topped off, if towing, which I really don't recommend, you can lose fluid out the breather.
I'd recommend getting a 2 1/2 gal jug of hydraulic fluid to keep on hand.

/ Wood Splitter From Tractor Supply Opinions? #5  
depending upon where your budget is JDZ, if one wanted a higher powered splitter, this Champion might be decent value and very good company to buy from.
I had one of their Champion generators and was impressed by the value of lower price yet good quality.
I'm not sure whether it's 24 ton or 35 makes a big difference. But I bought the 35 TSC since I figured it would last forever.

log splitters are pretty ancient tech. many handy guys build their own.
I always wanted to build one with a ten horse electric motor.

Ledgemere, I hope you get at least 25 years out of this one.

splitting wood in cold weather is great fun and you feel so productive after seeing the end result in a big pile or stack.

/ Wood Splitter From Tractor Supply Opinions? #6  
I have a 25 ton County Line splitter. it split over 10 cord every year. It is the only machine I own that has given me no headaches. Try to take it from mw and you would quickly find yourself fertilizer.

/ Wood Splitter From Tractor Supply Opinions? #7  
Great looking splitter!!

One modification that can make the wedge cross splitting attachment at least 3X better performing,,
Change the length of either the vertical wedge, or the horizontal wings.

If either the wedge, or the wings hit the wood first, that split will occur,
then the full power is left for the opposite split.

Here is a pic of my DIY splitter wedge, it splits horizontally first, then vertically.

7wAAr5w.jpg

iYWf9pO.jpg

The way the TSC splitter is right now,, BOTH the vertical wedge, and the wings hit at the same time.

We have several types of wood around here that will stall a compound split wedge with EVERY attempt.
Large locust that has been cut for several years is one of those types of wood.

/ Wood Splitter From Tractor Supply Opinions? #8  
depending upon where your budget is JDZ, if one wanted a higher powered splitter, this Champion might be decent value and very good company to buy from.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200930528_200930528 I had one of their Champion generators and was impressed by the value of lower price yet good quality.
I'm not sure whether it's 24 ton or 35 makes a big difference. But I bought the 35 TSC since I figured it would last forever.
Thanks for the recommendation!

/ Wood Splitter From Tractor Supply Opinions?
Nice looking young helper. When my kids were that age they woukd have been saying “are we almost done?”
Mine do too. I tell them “we have enough wood when I tell you we do.” Usually about 8-9 cords😩

/ Wood Splitter From Tractor Supply Opinions?
my 15 year old TSC splitter with a Briggs 1450 is still going strong. And it's had a lot of use.
Synthetic oil every two years, can of Sea Foam once a year, and a new plug maybe every five years.
Beam and heavy iron/steel still looking good and paint has held up.
I use silicone/teflon spray on the mechanism after a thorough cleaning.

Only thing a little skimpy were the oem hydraulic hoses, but today's models look like heavier gauge hoses.
They should...same splitter is a thousand dollars more expensive now.
Make sure hydraulic tank is topped off, if towing, which I really don't recommend, you can lose fluid out the breather.
I'd recommend getting a 2 1/2 gal jug of hydraulic fluid to keep on hand.
I loaded it in my truck to haul home…I was afraid it would disintegrate with those tiny wheels and the hydraulic hoses so low. I just haul it around the farm with a tractor or the Gator