Wood post paint

/ Wood post paint #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
Any suggestions for white paint for pressure treated fence posts? I saw TSC has a Homestead and Valspar brands. Any thoughts on those?

/ Wood post paint #3  
Ièd suggest opaque wood stains vs paint!

Paint is a skin that when it cracks or splits will trap water while a stain will powder and simply erode.

Paint will need scraping or sanding to recoat later on, while an opaque stain simply wants a recoat.

Might be wrong, but that is my 2 cents.

/ Wood post paint
That was another thought, paint or stain. The stains usually say 3-5 years before they need redone. Will the vertical surface last longer? Which sill last longer paint or stain?

/ Wood post paint #5  
paint will hold it's color longer - and likely stay put longer.
opaque stain will protect from UV nearly as well as paint but not crack, peel, trap water, etc...
semi-opaque/semi-transparent have good UV inhibitors, protect from moisture, etc..
transparent stain will provide protection from water, but not UV.

plus, stain can be sprayed on every 3-4 years rather than brushing on of paint.

/ Wood post paint #6  
I'd use stain and a airless sprayer. Both Sherman Williams and Home Depot Behr Premiums are excellent. with pressure treated you have an adhesion issue unless it is "seasoned" and and dries out.

Andy

/ Wood post paint #7  
If you paint, you'd probably have to prime first. Also like Andy said, it would need to be dry first. If you paint over wet wood the water will push the paint off trying to get out.

/ Wood post paint #8  
I would try the stain route. I have used Cabot stain specifically made for pressure treated(PT) wood with good success on fencing and decking. Every few years I wash, dry, and restain. On the paint side of things I have used exterior acrylics with lasting success over any oil based paints. The seasons and climate change wreaks havoc on oils. Good quality wood(cedar, redwood, etc) holds acrylic paints well and they do last 6-8 years. For PT wood I would stick to a good quality stain. Based on what I have heard from others I would also consider Sikkens.

/ Wood post paint #9  
Maybe it's not applicable in your situation, but I remember reading that PT needs to age a bit before painting or the paint tends to peel?

I personally would stain it for the reasons others have already mentioned.

/ Wood post paint #10  
I built a PT picket fence around my front and rear yards about 12-13 years ago. I used Behr's solid stain (pinto white) after letting the fence age for over 6 months. It held up pretty well for about 7 years and then I had it resprayed at that time. Still holding up pretty well and that is with the heat and humidity we have here in S Fla. Looks like paint but doesn't have the gloss finish and it doesn't peel just kinds of starts to wear away. I pressure sprayed it before re-staining the second time.

Attachments

• picket fence.jpg
    picket fence.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 120